EU imposes interim measures on Broadcom in TV chipset market
Oct 16, 2019 – The European Commission has ordered Broadcom to stop applying certain provisions contained in agreements with six of its main customers. This will prevent serious and irreparable harm to competition likely to be caused by Broadcom's conduct, which prima facie infringes EU competition rules.
News categories: European Commission, Broadcom, Digital TV, EU, Regulation, Semiconductor, Set Top Box
Liberty Global Vodafone deal approved by European Commission
Jul 18, 2019 – European Commission has announced its final approval of the sale of Liberty Global’s operations in Germany, Hungary, Romania and the Czech Republic to Vodafone Group. The transaction, announced May 9, 2018, has a total enterprise value of approximately €19 billion [$21.5] billion, on a GAAP basis.
News categories: Liberty Global, European Commission, Vodafone, Mike Fries, Cable TV, Czech Republic, Digital TV, EU, Germany, Hungary, MnA, Regulation, Romania
EU opens antitrust investigation into Broadcom
Jun 26, 2019 – The European Commission has opened a formal antitrust investigation to assess whether, in TV and modem chipset markets, Broadcom may be restricting competition through exclusivity practices, in breach of EU rules.
News categories: European Commission, Margrethe Vestager, Digital TV, EU, Regulation, Semiconductor, Set Top Box
Swiss Competition Commission to review Sunrise's UPC takeover
Jun 3, 2019 – The Swiss Competition Commission (COMCO/WEKO) has decided to examine in detail the planned takeover of UPC Switzerland by Sunrise from its owner Liberty Global. A decision from COMCO/WEKO is expected by the beginning of October 2019.
News categories: Sunrise, WEKO, Cable TV, Digital TV, MnA, Regulation, Switzerland
FCC opens up for ATSC 3.0 license applications
May 23, 2019 – The Media Bureau of the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has announced that it will begin accepting Next Generation Television (ATSC 3.0) license applications in the commission’s licensing and management system on May 28, 2019.
News categories: Federal Communications Commission, ATSC, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Regulation, USA
Digital Alert Systems and Kaltura bring EAS Alerts to Cloud TV services
May 14, 2019 – Digital Alert Systems and Kaltura have announced that the Kaltura TV Platform is first to support Digital Alert Systems' EAS-NET communications protocol, allowing customers to comply with EAS/CAP regulations by providing critical emergency messages within their Cloud TV deployments.
News categories: Digital Alert Systems, Kaltura, Bill Robertson, Gideon Gilboa, Digital TV, OTT, PAYTV19, Regulation, USA
EU opens competition investigation into Telia's acquisition of Bonnier Broadcasting
May 10, 2019 – The European Commission has opened an investigation to assess the proposed acquisition of Bonnier Broadcasting by Telia Company. The Commission is concerned that the merged entity may shut out competitors from the audio-visual sector in Finland and Sweden.
News categories: European Commission, Telia Company, Bonnier Broadcasting, Digital TV, Finland, MnA, Regulation, Sweden
Chile postpones analogue TV switch off to 2024
May 3, 2019 – The government of Chile has announced a revised plan for the implementation of digital television over the next four years. Under the plan, the expectation is that 80% of Chileans will have a digital signal by 2022.
News categories: SUBTEL, Chile, Digital TV, Regulation, Terrestrial
EU set to enhance cross-border access to online content
Apr 15, 2019 – The EU is taking steps to increase the number of TV and radio programmes available online for European consumers. The Council has adopted a directive which will facilitate the licensing of copyright-protected material contained in such programmes so that they can be made available throughout the EU.
News categories: European Council, Digital TV, EU, OTT, Regulation
- Synamedia and Triveni Digital partner for ATSC 3.0 video delivery
- Rohde & Schwarz supports 5G Broadcast trial in Brazil
- EU imposes interim measures on Broadcom in TV chipset market
- Globecast provides media operations for Orby TV
- Switch Media unveils fast-to-market OTT platform
- Allegro DVT acquires Amphion Semiconductor
- Australian SVOD poised to break billion-dollar AU$ barrier
- HEVC Advance adds JVCKenwood, NEC, Intellectual Discovery, and Korean Patent Investment as licensors
- TV Time acquires Mediamorph
- Apple TV App and Apple TV+ coming to the Roku platform
- Amobee launches fraud-free guarantee for Connected TV inventory
- GTPL Hathway digital pay TV subscribers up 150,000 in 3Q 2019
- ARK Multicasting and Microsoft partner for rural broadband and cloud services
- Phoenix Model Market adding 2nd NEXTGEN TV transmission site and SFN
- Orange France Livebox 5 powered by SoftAtHome
- Viewers in Australia feel overwhelmed in streaming battleground
- IPTV subscriptions and ARPU to drive pay TV growth in Japan
- Quality of UI more important than recommendations in video service satisfaction
- Alticast and Triveni Digital to demo ATSC 3.0 app synced to a TV show at NAB NYC
- New Zealand Rugby to become 5% shareholder in Sky NZ