FTC charges Broadcom with illegal monopolization
Jul 2, 2021 – The Federal Trade Commission has issued a complaint charging Broadcom with illegally monopolizing markets for semiconductor components used to deliver TV and broadband internet services through exclusive dealing and related conduct.
News categories: Federal Trade Commission, Broadcom, Holly Vedova, CPE, Digital TV, Regulation, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, USA, Worldwide
Pearl TV broadcasters welcome FCC easing of SFN regulations
Jan 19, 2021 – The Pearl TV broadcaster business group has applauded the decision by the FCC to give broadcasters more flexibility when using a Distributed Television System (DTS) for NEXTGEN TV broadcasts using ATSC 3.0.
News categories: Pearl TV, Federal Communications Commission, Anne Schelle, ATSC 3, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Regulation, USA
Cabinet revises guidelines for providing DTH services in India
Dec 23, 2020 – The Union Cabinet has approved a proposal for revision of the guidelines for obtaining license for providing Direct-To-Home (DTH) broadcasting service in India.
News categories: Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, Digital TV, India, Regulation, Satellite
FCC seeks to expedite release of new devices and technologies
Dec 10, 2020 – The FCC has proposed enhancements to its rules to grant limited, early-stage flexibility to innovators to accelerate the deployment of consumer devices like cellphones, laptops, and Wi-Fi routers after FCC authorization.
News categories: FCC, CPE, Digital TV, Regulation, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
FCC updates rules to encourage ATSC 3.0 Broadcast Internet services
Dec 10, 2020 – The FCC has issued a Report and Order updating its rules to promote the introduction of ATSC 3.0-enabled innovative ancillary and supplementary broadcast services, otherwise known as Broadcast Internet.
News categories: FCC, ATSC 3, Broadband, Content Distribution, Regulation, USA
EU accepts competition commitments by Broadcom for modem and STB markets
Oct 7, 2020 – Broadcom will suspend all existing agreements containing exclusivity or quasi-exclusivity arrangements and/or leveraging provisions concerning SoCs for TV set-top boxes and Internet modems.
News categories: European Commission, Broadcom, CPE, Digital TV, EU, Regulation, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Worldwide
FCC designates Huawei and ZTE as national security threats
Jun 30, 2020 – The FCC has formally designated Huawei and ZTE as covered companies for the purposes of the agency’s ban on the use of universal service support to purchase equipment or services from companies posing a national security threat.
News categories: Federal Communications Commission, Ajit Pai, Regulation, USA
FCC clarifies Broadcast Internet rules for ATSC 3.0
Jun 9, 2020 – The Federal Communications Commission, in a Declaratory Ruling, has clarified that television station ownership restrictions do not apply to the lease of spectrum to provide Broadcast Internet services.
News categories: Federal Communications Commission, ATSC 3, Digital TV, Regulation, USA
FCC to vote on plan to clear the way for ATSC 3.0 internet services
May 18, 2020 – FCC Commissioner Brendan Carr has announced that the FCC will vote on his plan to promote the build out of Broadcast Internet services, enabled by ATSC 3.0 and delivered over an efficient one-to-many architecture.
News categories: FCC, Dennis Wharton, Jamie Susskind, ATSC 3, Broadband, Digital TV, Regulation, USA
- Roku launches player line-up for Germany
- 5G Broadcast and DTT can share UHF band and broadcast infrastructure
- SVOD household penetration in Malaysia to reach 27% in 2025
- Accedo powers Arabic SVOD service from TenTime
- Wurl unveils performance marketing service for streamers
- Origin selects Kantar for UK media measurement
- Germany to overtake the UK by SVOD subscribers
- Roku launches OneView ad platform for Canada
- NEXTGEN TV launched on five local TV stations in St. Louis, MO
- Redbox signs distribution agreement with Vewd
- SpringServe first independent ad server to integrate with IRIS.TV
- Robust growth forecast for SVOD revenue in India
- Latest Vestel TVs certified for DTS:X immersive audio
- Wiztivi develops UI for Sagemcom Video Soundbox STB
- AlphaOTT partners with STI Telecom for OTT/IPTV headend services
- UEI providing voice-enabled remote for Astro's Ultra set-tops
- Ross Video withdraws from IBC 2021 exhibition
- Comcast brings XiOne streaming box to the U.S.
- Liberty Global to sell UPC Polska to iliad’s Play subsidiary
- Subscription fatigue in Australia? Not yet but on the way