Entropic announces IP-client SoC with HEVC and MoCA 2.0Tuesday, April 29th, 2014
Entropic’s EN7305 Fully-Integrated, Cost-Optimized IP-Client System-on-a-Chip Enables Highest Quality Video Delivery and Playback With HEVC and MoCA 2.0
LOS ANGELES — The Cable Show – Booth #2001 — Entropic (Nasdaq:ENTR), a world leader in semiconductor solutions for the connected home, today announced the availability of its EN7305, a single-chip, fully-integrated set-top box (STB) system-on-a-chip (SoC) for IP-Client devices. The EN7305 integrates 1080p60 High-Efficiency Video Codec (HEVC) decoding, Multimedia over Coax Alliance (MoCA®) 2.0 home networking, support for all major broadcast security systems and 3D graphics acceleration – offering operators best-in-class video delivery and quality at each TV viewing location in the home.
As the gateway/client architecture becomes more prevalent in cable topologies, the need for cost-sensitive IP-Client devices with MoCA for home networking and HEVC for seamless, low bandwidth video playback is more critical. To distribute connected entertainment from the gateway or cloud, the EN7305 leverages Entropic’s third-generation MoCA 2.0 technology; to enable more efficient bandwidth usage for entertainment playback, the EN7305 uses advanced 1080p60 HEVC decoder compression technology. By supporting HEVC, operators can save on transmission bandwidth and expand their content and services offering by improving video quality, increase the number of channels offered, and/or utilize the free bandwidth to provide new IP services.
“We designed the EN7305 to address the evolving architecture of the cable home as well as allow operators to find new ways to reduce operational costs. For example, by supporting HEVC decoding, operators can increase their flexibility to acquire new content and minimize their diversity of content sources,” said Matt Rhodes, senior vice president, Global Marketing, Entropic. “By using advanced mixed signal technologies, we developed an impressive IP-Client solution that offers an integrated, low power design with a price per performance value that is unmatched when compared to competitive solutions.”
Entropic’s EN7305 delivers high-end features for IP-Client devices including:
- Increased Video Efficiency: 1080p60 HEVC decoding empowers operators to save transmission bandwidth relative to H.264 or MPEG-2;
- Advanced Home Networking: Mature third-generation MoCA 2.0 RF and MAC/PHY networking to enable net throughput (MAC) rates of 400+ Mbps;
- Eye-catching Graphics: OpenGL ES 2.0 support using ARM® Mali™-400 3D graphics acceleration for attractive user interfaces with multi-plane video and graphics compositing;
- Lower Power Consumption: Use of 28nm low power process technology minimizes active power consumption in the STB as compared to other integrated SoCs and aggressive standby modes with dedicated power management microcontroller for idle power savings; and
- Lower System Costs: Cost optimized Bill of Material (BOM) through DDR3 or DDR4 memory interface, integrated audio amplifiers, video filters, ESD protection and key I/O systems for IP clients.
Entropic’s EN7305 is sampling in Q2 2014 to early access customers. The Company also offers a non-MoCA 2.0 version, the EN7304, which is also sampling in Q2 2014 to early access customers. The new solution is being demonstrated at The Cable Show 2014 (Entropic Booth #2001), which takes place at the Los Angeles Convention Center from April 29-May 1, 2014.