ATEME encodes industry's first 4K cable channelTuesday, April 29th, 2014
ATEME Technology Integral Component in Launch of Industry First 4K Cable Channel
LOS ANGELES — The Cable Show, Los Angeles Convention Center, CableNET Booth — ATEME, a global leader in advanced video compression solutions for the broadcast industry, today announced that Home Choice, a leading South Korean content aggregator, selected TITAN to encode Ultra High Definition (UHD) content in HEVC for the launch of UMAX, the world’s first dedicated 4K channel.
- Home Choice launches industry first – On April 10, 2014, Home Choice launched UMAX, the first UHD cable channel in the world, broadcast in 4Kp60 (2160×3840 pixel resolution with 60 frames per second).
- TITAN chosen for exceptional video quality and compatibility – TITAN is ATEME’s next generation TV Head-End, a real-time multi-channel/format encoder/transcoder for multi-screen delivery of linear channels and video-on-demand. Home Choice selected TITAN for its best-in-class picture quality (using 32mbps for 4Kp60) and for its proven compatibility with embedded decoders in today’s most popular TV brands.
- No set-top box required – By leveraging the HEVC decoding capabilities built into UHDTV compatible televisions – and downloading an application to decrypt UMAX on their TV – cable television subscribers across South Korea will have access to the most recent UHD content
- Original content – The initial launch of UMAX will include 40 original programs, a mix of films, documentaries and animation, which will run from 6 a.m. to 2 a.m. KST. Home Choice plans to increase its offering to 100 programs by the end of 2014.
- No cost to subscribers – UMAX is funded and distributed by all South-Korean MSOs (CJ Hellovision, C&M, T-Broad and HCN) and is available at no additional charge to subscribers in 2014.
Eunsook Wi, APAC regional manager, ATEME said: “With the integration of HEVC capabilities into UHDTV television sets, and a cable channel that will provide consumers with the capability to enjoy this advanced technology today, cable programmers around the world will be watching the launch of UMAX with great interest. We are proud to be a part of the worldwide launch of the first 4K cable channel.”