Sony introduces PlayStation TV for North America, Europe and PAL regionsTuesday, June 10th, 2014
Sony Computer Entertainment Introduces PlayStation®TV for North America, Europe and the PAL Region
- Affordable System Offers Access To A Wide Variety Of PlayStation Content
TOKYO — Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) today introduced PlayStation®TV (PS TV), an affordable entertainment system that will enable users to easily enjoy various game content and PlayStation®4 (PS4™) remote play on their TV at home. PS TV will come in “Black,” and will be available in North America, Europe and the PAL region this Fall at a recommended retail price (RRP) of just $ 99, € 99 for a standalone system. In addition, a bundle that includes a wireless controller (DUALSHOCK®3), 8GB memory card, and The LEGO® Movie Videogame from Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment will be available at $139.99 in North America.
This product was released in Japan and other Asian regions as PlayStation®Vita TV (PS Vita TV) on November 14, 2013, and has proven to be popular with consumers looking for a convenient, easy-to-use gaming system. Since its initial release, PS TV has continuously evolved through system software updates and content enhancements. Adopting the same chip sets and system software as the PlayStation®Vita (PS Vita) portable entertainment system, PS TV comes in an ultra slim size (6.5cm × 10.5cm), the smallest of all PlayStation® platforms that connect to a TV. In response to the demands from users in North America, Europe and the PAL region, SCE will introduce the system under a new name and color, and will deliver entertainment experiences only possible on PS TV.
Main features of the PS TV system are as follows:
- PlayStation®4 (PS4™) Remote Play
As with PS Vita, PS TV supports PS4™ Remote Play and Wireless Controller (DUALSHOCK®3 or DUALSHOCK®4). This will allow PS4™ users in the living room to continue playing a game on a PS TV system in their bedroom. PS4™ users can also enjoy most of the PS4™ games on PS TV with excellent operability as if they are playing it on their PS4™ system*1.
- PlayStation®3 (PS3®) games through PlayStation™Now
PS TV users will be able to access the PlayStation™Now open beta service that will be available by the end of this year in North America and at a later date in Europe and the PAL region. PS TV users will be able to comfortably enjoy PS3® games via streaming, by using Wireless Controller (DUALSHOCK®3 or DUALSHOCK®4).
- Vast lineup of software titles available for download or via game cards
PS TV offers a vast lineup of over 1,000 software titles*2 from select PS Vita games, PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) games and PS One classics, including titles such as Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes (Disney Interactive), Minecraft (Mojang/4J Studios), God of War®: Collection (SCE WWS), and Killzone™ Mercenary (SCE WWS). Users will be able to enjoy all of these titles using the Wireless Controller (DUALSHOCK®3 or DUALSHOCK®4). Users can download games directly to the system through the PlayStation®Store, or insert a PS Vita game card directly into the device.
- Fun and Unique features of PS TV
- PS TV users can play games with PS Vita users through a local wireless Ad Hoc mode.
- Up to 2 DUALSHOCK®3 or DUALSHOCK®4 controllers can be connected to PS TV, allowing users to enjoy multiplayer games from PS One classics titles.
PS TV will allow users to access movies and TV episodes available on PlayStation®Store*3.
- PS TV users can access the same services they enjoy on their PS Vita system*4, such as PlayStation®Plus.
- Videos or photos stored on the Memory Card or those videos being played on the “Browser” of the PS Vita system can easily be transferred to PS TV to be viewed on a large TV screen*5. While being transferred, PS Vita can be used as a remote controller using the video player application.
SCE will continuously expand the world of entertainment through the PS TV platform by further enhancing its services and features.