STMicroelectronics Reports 2014 Second Quarter Financial ResultsWednesday, July 23rd, 2014
GENEVA — STMicroelectronics (NYSE: STM), a global semiconductor leader serving customers across the spectrum of electronics applications, reported financial results for the second quarter and first half ending June 29, 2013.
Second quarter net revenues totaled $2.05 billion and gross margin was 32.8%. Net loss attributable to ST was $152 million.
Recent Corporate Developments – Pay TV
On June 17, ST announced that it had signed a comprehensive agreement with Rambus Inc. expanding existing licenses between the two Companies, settling all outstanding claims, and committing both organizations to explore additional opportunities for collaboration. The multifaceted agreement gives Rambus access to ST’s Fully-Depleted Silicon On Insulator (FD-SOI) process-technology design environment while giving ST secured license terms from the Cryptography Research, Inc. (CRI) division of Rambus that makes it possible for ST to expand deployment of security technology for banking, identity, Pay TV, video gaming, smartphones, and government, across a wider range of products.
Product and Technology Highlights – Digital Convergence (DCG)
- Continued building momentum for ASICs to be manufactured in 28nm FD-SOI technology, with two new design wins for networking and consumer applications.
- Maintained success with worldwide customers of awards for new set-top box Class2 product family, which has now also obtained the full certification from Nagra and Viaccess.
- Began an important design at a key customer for the US cable modem based on the Orly/STiD platform.
- Captured multiple design-ins of DisplayPort smart connectivity products in various applications, including 4Kx2K TV, the first TV with DisplayPort input, at a large global consumer manufacturer.
- Breezeline Stream TV launches in Pennsylvania
- SES-18 and SES-19 C-band satellites for the U.S. successfully launched
- OTT TV revenues in Western Europe to reach $45 billion by 2028
- DVB publishes updated Multicast ABR specification and guidelines
- Channel 4 adds Xandr to its digital ad-buying suite
- Mola boosts ABR streaming quality with Broadpeak