SmarDTV Wi-Fi enabled CAM selected by Mediaset PremiumTuesday, July 7th, 2015
SmarDTV Wi-Fi enabled CAM selected by Mediaset Premium to power hybrid over-the-top (OTT) and broadcast services in Italy
- SMART CAM with embedded Wi-Fi turns any CI Plus iDTV into a SMART TV capable of accessing the Mediaset Premium Play services over the Internet
- Access to the Premium Play portal is provided by the companion application suite that is available for both smartphones and tablets on Apple and Android platforms
- Mediaset leverages the. studio approved NAGRA anyCAST PRM to secure their highly valuable Premium Play content catalog. The use of a CAM removes the complexity of supporting multiple competing DRM systems to address the wide variety of different TVs in the market
MILAN, Italy and CHESEAUX, Switzerland — Mediaset Premium S.p.A. and SmarDTV, a Kudelski Group company (SIX:KUD.S), today announced the successful commercial launch of the first CI Plus Wi-Fi CAM offering both Mediaset Premium broadcast services and Mediaset Premium Play broadband services in one single module.
The innovative Wi-Fi enabled Premium SMART CAM enables CI Plus and certified DVB-CI TVs to become “Smart TVs” by connecting them to the Mediaset Premium Play portal using the CAMs embedded wireless connection. By downloading the SMART CAM Control Application suite available on Apple App Store and Android Google Play, users gain access to greater than 2,500 titles on Premium Play and can use a smartphone or a tablet to select their favorite titles to enjoy on their integrated TVs.
The result is a highly compact and elegant solution to enable interactive services on any Digital TV in the market including those lacking in-built connectivity. No extra set-top box or additional cables are needed because the CAM slots neatly into the CI interface that exists on all European TVs with a screen-size greater than 30 cm.
“We are rightfully proud of this new generation of conditional access module that we have developed in collaboration with SmarDTV” said Franco Ricci, Mediaset Premium CEO. “We have a highly successful history of deploying our Premium Broadcast services using conditional access modules and iDTVs that began in 2009 with the launch of our first products and we see this evolution as the logical next step for users to now access our Premium Play services via OTT.
“The addition of wireless connectivity to our CAM product line opens new horizons for service providers,“ commented Eric Chaubert CEO of SmarDTV. “This is fully in line with the vision of DVB to extend CI Plus to the broadband world and is a great example of how we see the future of CI Plus products. Wireless CAMs really offer service providers a uniform smart TV platform and we are delighted and honored to launch this product with Mediaset Premium who has been a main driver of CAM innovation over the past decade.
The SMART CAM has been on sale in Mediaset Premium approved outlets for the past months. User feedback and uptake of Premium Play services is highly positive.
Mediaset Premium will begin certification of new iDTV and labelling of these iDTVs as SMART CAM compatible. This program is being introduced in Q2 2015.
- Tenstorrent to build AI and RISC-V chiplets with LG for Smart TVs
- DISH brings its linear TV to the digital ad marketplace
- health tv launches first FAST channel with Amagi
- Number of UK SVOD homes falls in 1Q 2023
- inext signs Moldova distribution contract with DIGIMAX
- EL PAIS begins live broadcasts on its FAST channel with The Channel Store