56% of UK TV homes had a connected TV at the end of 2014Thursday, August 6th, 2015
The UK’s communications regulator, Ofcom, has published its annual Communications Market report for 2015.
The Television and Audiovisual section examines key developments and trends seen in the UK television market during the past year. These include:
• Over half (56%) of UK TV homes had a TV connected to the internet, either via a set-top box or a smart TV, at the end of 2014. However, this figure is likely to be higher when other third-party devices, which can also be used to connect TVs to the internet, such as games consoles or streaming devices (e.g. Now TV or Chromecast), are included.
Activities undertaken on a connected TV, by age
Source: Ofcom Media Tracker 2014. Base: All respondents (2074); 16-24 (297); 25-34 (331); 35-44 (333); 45-54 (333) 55-64 (318); 65+ (462). Only responses >3% labelled. Prompted, multicode. Q7/ Q9C/ Q10C/ Q11C/ Q13 – And which, if any of these devices have been connected to your home broadband service as well as a TV set in the home in the last 12 months to view something on the TV screen?
• Two-thirds (64%) of TV homes now have a digital video recorder (DVR), although in the past year this figure has increased by only two percentage points (from 62% in 2014) suggesting that the penetration of DVRs may be beginning to plateau.
• Growth in take-up of HDTV services has slowed, and 3DTV is failing to gain traction. Take-up of HDTV services increased marginally, by four percentage points, from 53% in 2014 to 57% in 2015. Despite 3D services having been available since 2010, less than one in ten (7%) of UK TV homes in 2015 claimed to watch TV content in 3D.
UK television industry metrics
2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- Total TV industry revenue (£bn) 11.1 11.8 12.4 12.5 12.8 13.2 Digital TV take-up (% all households) 88% 92% 94% 96% 95% 93% Proportion of DTV homes with pay satellite or cable 53% 56% 51% 51% 52% 51%
- Insys Video Technologies simplifies video streaming with Bitmovin
- BeIN Media and Google Cloud announce media and broadcast collaboration
- Activated STBs grow to 3,166,461 for South Africa's Openview
- Singtel TV subscribers down 6,000 in 1Q 2023
- Orby Elevate selects EUTELSAT for DTH TV distribution in the US
- U.S. SVOD revenues to grow at a 6.3% CAGR over 2022-2027