LG adds DIRECTV as content partner for webOS TVsTuesday, September 1st, 2015
LG Adds Smart TV Content Partners, Provides Free Upgrade To 2014 webOS TVs To Deliver Even More Choices And Speed
- DIRECTV Among New Full HD and 4K Ultra HD Content Partners for webOS Smart TVs; Speed and Layout Highlight Changes for 2014 TV Update
ENGLEWOOD CLIFFS, N.J. — LG Electronics USA today announced expanded content partners for its webOS Smart TV platform, including access to streaming Full HD and 4K content from DIRECTV without the need of extra boxes for DIRECTV subscribers. This new offering is among a host of other premier content providers, giving LG Smart TV owners more home entertainment options than ever before.
LG also announced at no-cost firmware update for 2014 webOS Smart TVs to give owners virtually all of the new webOS 2.0 features that debuted on this year’s new Smart TV models. Upgraded LG webOS TVs will offer an improved user experience with a more intuitive layout, convenient shortcuts, quicker boot-up time and even faster response when switching between applications.
The free upgrade is the first of such kind in the industry, demonstrates LG’s commitment to offering consumers a best-in-class, customized TV experience with the latest and highest quality content delivered from a simple and fast interface.
“As more consumers embrace streaming content as a preferred method for their video consumption, our goal is to ensure LG smart TVs are offering the simplest, fastest ways to access content services,” said David VanderWaal, vice president of marketing, LG Electronics. “Continuing to add high-value content providers, such as DIRECTV, supports our webOS brand promise of ‘making TV simple again,’ even on previous years’ models as seen with our webOS updates.”
4K Content for DIRECTV Subscribers with LG Smart TVs*
LG’s expansive 2015 lineup of Smart TVs featuring webOS 2.0 will offer online access to more streaming content than ever before, including DIRECTV Ready and DIRECTV 4K Ready features. With the new service, subscribers won’t need extra boxes in each room because DIRECTV capability is built into the TV. Select 2014 and 2015 LG Smart TVs will allow subscribers with a Genie HD DVR to enjoy a full HD DVR experience on each select LG Smart TV in their home without the extra clutter of extra set-top boxes. Subscribers with an LG 4K Ultra HD TV can enjoy new releases as well as their favorite classic films in stunning 4K with lifelike clarity, four times the resolution of HD. DIRECTV offers a variety of 4K UHD titles, including new releases, popular films and nature documentaries.
Select 2014 and 2015 LG Smart TVs will have the new DIRECTV Ready application by Sept. 2.
In addition to DIRECTV, other new content partners for LG webOS TVs launching this month include iHeartRadio and Rdio:
- iHeartRadio: The free, all-in-one streaming music and live digital radio service delivers instant access to thousands of live radio stations from across the U.S. and custom stations inspired by an artist or song. iHeartRadio also offers mood or activity based “Perfect For” stations as well as on demand podcasts, all from the comfort of the living room.
- Rdio: Rdio is a leading global music streaming service available in 85 countries worldwide. Rdio’s mission is to provide access to every song, on every device, anywhere in the world instantly, online or offline — tuned to you. Rdio’s critically acclaimed applications combine the best of personal choice, social engagement, expert curation, algorithmic personalization and live broadcast radio.
2014 Owners Brought Up to Speed at No Cost
LG also announced that its 2014 webOS-enabled Smart TVs will enjoy a free software update on September 21, allowing current webOS 1.0 users to experience the improved webOS 2.0 platform introduced on 2015 models without having to purchase new hardware.
Consumers will enjoy the following new updates via the simple firmware update:
- Faster Performance: Speeds performance when launching the Home menu, accessing settings and loading applications.
- Added “My Channels”: Allows users to customize their favorite live TV or set-top box channels on the Launcher Bar for greater convenience and quick access.
- Improved Quick Settings: Minimizes distraction from content with vertical “buttons” on the right side of the screen activated when the Magic Remote cursor passes over them.
- Updated Input Selection: Now includes this useful feature as a Quick Menu option for faster access to a variety of inputs.
- Modified “Live Menu”: Updates the live channel list with a modern look and feel as well as more detailed information.
Further validating the exceptional Smart TV experience available through webOS, over a dozen 2015 LG 4K Ultra HD TV models – including LG’s 2015 OLED 4K TV lineup – are designated as Netflix Recommended TVs under the new program that helps consumers identify televisions that offer a great Netflix experience and superior smart TV performance overall. LG Smart TVs were among the first 4K UHD models designated as Netflix Recommended TVs.
Owners of webOS 1.0 TVs who have the automatic update option enabled will receive the upgrade automatically. If automatic update is not enabled, users will receive a pop-up message on their screen to guide them through the easy upgrade process. LG’s 2014 Smart TV series that will receive the update are: LB6300, LB6500, LB7100, LB7200, UB8500, UB9200, UB9300, UB9500, UB9800, EC9300, EC9700 and EG9700.
LG’s webOS Smart TV platform is designed to make finding and switching between content options – including broadcast TV, streaming services and external devices – intuitive and fast. LG webOS features simple switching to let users quickly shift the content they like, as well as simple discovery to help find new sources of entertainment from 4K partners such as Amazon Instant Video, Netflix™, YouTube™, now DIRECTV and many more Full HD options.**
* LG DIRECTV Ready enabled TV Models: LF6300 and EG9100 LG DIRECTV 4K Ready enabled TV Models: UF9500, UF7600, UF7690, UF7700, UF8500, UF8600, EG9600.
** 4K/UHD content delivery standards still being developed. Wireless Internet connection & certain subscriptions required and sold separately. Agreement to smart TV terms and conditions required to use certain smart features. Content and services vary by product and are subject to change without notice. webOS does not support Flash. In order to stream 4K content you need you will need a high speed Internet plan capable of receiving 20Mb per second of data.