HEVC Advance considering adjustments to its royalty structureWednesday, September 23rd, 2015
Technology Leader MediaTek Joins HEVC Advance Patent Pool
- HEVC Advance seeks input from market participants to arrive at a royalty structure that advances common goal of rapid HEVC adoption
BOSTON — HEVC Advance, an independent licensing administrator, today announced that technology leader MediaTek has agreed to join the HEVC Advance patent pool, which provides an efficient and transparent means for accessing and licensing HEVC essential patents. MediaTek is a market leader in cutting-edge systems-on-chip (SoC) for mobile and home entertainment devices, and is one of the leading contributors to the creation of the HEVC/H.265 video compression standard, with one of the most significant HEVC/H.265 patent portfolios in the world.
MediaTek reported sales in 2014 in excess of $6.5 billion, and is ranked as one of the largest integrated circuit designers worldwide.
“The addition of MediaTek will substantially enhance the value of the HEVC Advance patent pool for our customers and is a significant step in realizing our goal of bringing HEVC to the global market by providing an efficient and transparent means to acquire necessary and high quality patent rights, at scale, in a fair, reasonable and balanced manner,” said Peter Moller, CEO of HEVC Advance. “We continue to make great strides in building a substantial portfolio of high-quality HEVC essential patents available for license as we march toward our official launch in the fourth quarter.”
HEVC Advance is also actively soliciting input from market participants and considering adjustments to arrive at a royalty structure that enables continued and rapid adoption of HEVC and brings the associated benefits to stakeholders within the media and technology industries. “We have received significant market feedback, particularly on content fees, and will adjust fees to support widespread use of HEVC,” Moller said.
- Tenstorrent to build AI and RISC-V chiplets with LG for Smart TVs
- DISH brings its linear TV to the digital ad marketplace
- health tv launches first FAST channel with Amagi
- Number of UK SVOD homes falls in 1Q 2023
- inext signs Moldova distribution contract with DIGIMAX
- EL PAIS begins live broadcasts on its FAST channel with The Channel Store