Licensing (Patents, Royalties, …) News
Vodafone extends licensing agreement with TiVo
Feb 16, 2021 – TiVo (Nasdaq: XPER) has announced a renewal with Vodafone for a range of TiVo products, including Content Discovery, Conversational Voice and Insight Data Analytics.
News categories: Xperi Holding, Vodafone, Matt Milne, Big Data, Digital TV, Europe, Patent, UX, Worldwide
Sharp renews TiVo G-Guide licensing
Feb 16, 2021 – TiVo (Nasdaq: XPER) has announced an agreement with Sharp to use TiVo's G-Guide products across compatible television and Ultra HD Blu-ray recorder products in the Japanese market.
News categories: Xperi Holding, Sharp Corp, Matt Milne, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Japan, Patent, Smart TV, UX
Roku acquires Quibi’s global content distribution rights
Jan 8, 2021 – The Roku Channel (NASDAQ: ROKU) will become the exclusive place to stream more than 75 premium shows and documentaries that Quibi created in conjunction with Hollywood’s leading studios and production companies.
News categories: Roku, Rob Holmes, Digital TV, Licensing, MandA, OTT, Worldwide
Freeview and Vestel sign new 5-year partnership
Nov 10, 2020 – Freeview UK has renewed its contract with Vestel for a further five years. The deal means that the Freeview Play service will be not just present, but have prominence on all new Vestel manufactured TV sets.
News categories: Freeview, Vestel, Simon Hunt, Barış Altınkaya, Digital TV, HbbTV, Licensing, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK
Xperi and Comcast agree patent licensing deal
Nov 9, 2020 – Xperi (NASDAQ: XPER) and Comcast (NASDAQ: CMCSA) have announced that they have entered into a 15-year patent license agreement. The agreement resolves all of the outstanding litigation between the companies.
News categories: Xperi Holding, Comcast, Samir Armaly, Peter Kiriacoulacos, Digital TV, Licensing, Patent, Set Top Box, USA
HEVC Advance releases draft VVC Licensing Program Overview
Aug 20, 2020 – HEVC Advance has announced the release of a draft VVC Licensing Program Overview. The Licensing Program, covering both VVC and HEVC, would establish the Advance Licensing Platform for Video Codecs.
News categories: HEVC Advance, Peter Moller, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Licensing, Media Player, Patent, Worldwide
Channel Master selects TiVo DVR and discovery technology for OTA customers
Aug 19, 2020 – Channel Master has announced that it has entered into an exclusive agreement to offer TiVo DVR technology for OTA antenna users. First up for the partnership, Channel Master will launch a 500GB TiVo EDGE DVR later this summer.
News categories: Channel Master, TiVo, Mike Lynch, Matt Milne, Digital TV, DVR, Licensing, Middleware, Terrestrial, USA
HEVC patent infringement suits brought against Vestel and Xiaomi
Aug 17, 2020 – Certain patent owners in the HEVC Advance HEVC/H.265 Patent Pool have filed separate proceedings against Vestel and Xiaomi in Germany for infringing patents essential to the HEVC/H.265 video coding standard.
News categories: HEVC Advance, Digital TV, Germany, Licensing, Patent
Fraunhofer IIS licenses MPEG-H Audio patents to Samsung
Jul 29, 2020 – Fraunhofer IIS has licensed its MPEG-H Audio patents to Samsung, allowing Samsung to manufacture products that feature MPEG-H Audio. MPEG-H Audio is specified in TV broadcast standards such as ATSC 3.0 and DVB as well as mobile standard 3GPP.
News categories: Fraunhofer IIS, Samsung, Stefan Geyersberger, Digital TV, Licensing, Patent, Worldwide
- ACCESS licenses Ligada iSuite for NetFront Browser BE HbbTV testing
- PubMatic to integrate Samba TV data for CTV audience targeting
- Chinese suppliers take top three positions in TV panel shipments
- 2021 shaping up to be year of programmatic TV advertising in Europe
- WarnerMedia RIDE app now available for U.S. Toyota and Lexus owners
- discovery+ launches on Xfinity Flex and soon on X1
- CommScope to spin-off Home Networks business
- Disney+ rollout in Southern Asia going strong
- Western Europe pay TV subscribers to fall by 4 million
- Spain gives international travel authorisation for MWC21
- $18 million of Series B funding for IRIS.TV
- 8K TV households to reach 72 million worldwide by 2025
- Finecast extends TV reach with new UK ad inventory partners
- Delta Fiber selects Agama video monitoring and analytics
- CTA and NCTA extend STB energy efficiency agreement to 2025
- Altice USA completes acquisition of Morris Broadband
- MediaTek and Samsung introduce Wi-Fi 6E enabled 8K TV
- COVID supercharged online video and gaming consumption in 2020
- VlogBox uses Protected Media SDK for CTV ad fraud detection
- Ekstraklasa chooses Red Bee as technology partner for Ekstraklasa.TV