DISH adds more Amazon Alexa controls for HopperTuesday, June 12th, 2018
DISH presents new Amazon Alexa controls for Hopper
- Adds new Alexa voice control capabilities for Hopper, Hopper Duo, Joey and Wally
- Customers can now set a recording, launch apps like Netflix and YouTube, and open menus like Home, Guide and DVR using their voice
- Compatible with Alexa-enabled devices, including the new Fire TV Cube
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ:DISH) today introduced new Amazon Alexa voice capabilities that give customers the ability to set recordings, launch apps and navigate menus on Hopper family set-top boxes. This update enhances the Hands-Free TV™ experience by building on DISH’s existing Alexa voice functions, including the ability to play, pause, fast-forward, rewind and search content.
“We are working to create the best Hands-Free TV options for our customers, and these new voice capabilities are an important step in that direction,” said Niraj Desai, DISH vice president of product management. “DISH customers already love the convenience that our Alexa compatibility brings to their home, so we’re continuously identifying popular voice commands to enhance that experience.”
In April 2017, DISH became the first pay-TV provider to offer direct compatibility with Amazon Alexa. In October 2017, the company unveiled whole-home Hands-Free TV by extending Alexa support to all Joey clients.
DISH’s Alexa capabilities
DISH customers can ask Alexa to navigate, play, pause, fast-forward, rewind and search content based on channel, title, actor or genre. With DISH’s newest update, customers can also use Alexa to set recordings, launch apps like Game Finder, Netflix, Pandora and YouTube, and easily access the Home, Guide, DVR, On Demand, Settings and Help menus.
Examples of DISH’s new Alexa commands include:
“Alexa, record this”
“Alexa, launch Netflix”
“Alexa, open Game Finder”
“Alexa, go to my Home Screen”
“Alexa, go to my DVR”
All DISH customers with an internet-connected Hopper DVR (all generations), Hopper Duo, Joey (all models) or Wally can ask Alexa to control their TV content after pairing with an Amazon Echo, Echo Show, Echo Dot, Fire TV Cube or another Alexa-enabled device. Each DISH set-top box must be paired with its own Alexa device.
- Irdeto ensures integrity of apps running on OSNtv
- Thales and Netskrt Systems collaborate on inflight VOD streaming
- Samsung chip to power Hyundai in-vehicle infotainment
- Radio Television Hong Kong selects Irdeto multi-DRM solution
- Spectrum Reach taps Beachfront for programmatic monetization of convergent TV
- Netgem enables multiscreen TV for ZEOP with new UI on Android TV