V-Nova implements MPEG-5 Part 2 (LCEVC) as part of its P+ SDKThursday, August 29th, 2019
V-Nova announces first implementation of upcoming standard MPEG-5 Part 2 (LCEVC) as part of its P+ SDK
- P+ includes the industry’s first highly optimized implementations for encoding and decoding the forthcoming MPEG-5 Part 2, low-complexity enhancement video coding (LCEVC) standard
- LCEVC is codec agnostic and offers higher compression efficiency to any video distribution workflow, whilst simultaneously reducing encoding costs
- P+ adds further compression efficiency gains along with a range of new features including mobile encoding, AI-powered optimizations and a new SDK integration framework for better hardware utilization across all devices
LONDON, UK — V-Nova, a leading provider of video compression solutions, today announced the 3rd generation of its multi award-winning portfolio of video distribution enhancement technologies, called P+ (previously PERSEUS Plus). The solution will be demonstrated at IBC 2019 on Stand 14.A07 in Amsterdam (September 13-17).
The development of the LCEVC standard is expected to be completed next year. When enhanced with LCEVC, any existing encoding pipeline – using codecs such as AVC/H.264, HEVC, VP9 or AV1 and in the future VVC – will achieve the same or better quality as a next-generation codec at the same bitrate and at up to 4x lower computational complexity.
P+ incorporates fully optimized encoding and decoding for the upcoming MPEG-5 Part 2 (LCEVC) standard which is set to transform the codec landscape by providing operators a way to deploy substantially better video quality with lower encoding costs to existing (and future) workflows. The software-oriented implementation also means that P+ will continuously optimize its implementation to benefit different solutions.
“P+ represents the culmination of years of research and advancement” said Guido Meardi, CEO and co-founder at V-Nova. “We have implemented a broad range of new features and optimizations. Most importantly, it includes the world’s first implementation of MPEG’s most exciting new standard, MPEG-5 Part 2 (LCEVC), a brand new approach in video compression, demonstrating its benefits and ease of adoption. Unlike a typical codec standard rollout, due to the software nature of the approach, operators and broadcasters will be able to deploy LCEVC immediately”.
“I invite visitors at IBC to come and witness the enhancements that our P+ implementation of LCEVC can provide to any existing codec workflow”
P+ is available as a containerized transcoding microservice, as an SDK for x86 (Linux, Windows), ARM (Android, iOS), FPGA and HTML5 scripted decoding, pre-integrated into a number of open-source options (including FFmpeg) and also directly from the V-Nova Platform in AWS.
- NextGen TV begins broadcasting in Des Moines, IA
- PANTAFLIX to dispose of streaming technology subsidiary
- Harmonic powers live sports streaming for VertiCast
- Eurovision Sport selects Ad Insertion Platform monetization solution
- TV reception over the Internet continues to grow in Switzerland
- Ateme launches statmux for NextGen TV and streaming services