NENT Group to launch Viaplay in Iceland on April 1stThursday, March 26th, 2020
NENT Group to launch Viaplay in Iceland on 1 April
- Viaplay to offer Icelandic viewers a unique combination of Viaplay Originals, films and series, and kids’ content, with live sports to be added in due course
- Viaplay series and movies package priced at ISK 599 (EUR 4) per month
- Viaplay will now be available in all five Nordic countries
Nordic Entertainment Group (NENT Group), the Nordic region’s leading streaming company, will launch its Viaplay streaming service in Iceland on 1 April. Viaplay viewers in Iceland will be able to enjoy a unique combination of Viaplay Originals, films and series, and kids’ content, with world-class live sports to be added in due course. Viaplay will now be available in all five Nordic countries.
The Viaplay series and movies package will be priced at ISK 599 (EUR 4) per month in Iceland. As in NENT Group’s other markets, Viaplay will be available to customers in Iceland through direct subscriptions and third-party partnerships.
Viaplay’s content offering is divided into four categories: Viaplay Originals, films and series, kids’ content, and live sports. Highlights of the content available in Iceland at launch include:
- Viaplay Originals: ‘Love Me’, ‘Those Who Kill’, ‘Wisting’, ‘Box 21’, ‘Face to Face’, ‘ALEX’, ‘Rig 45’, ‘The Art of Living’, ‘Black Lake’, ‘Hidden’, ‘Conspiracy of Silence’, ‘The Inner Circle’, ‘Four Hands Menu’ and much more.
- Films and series: ‘Borg vs. McEnroe’, ‘The Purity of Vengeance’, ‘Easy Money’, ‘Badehotellet’, ‘The Restaurant’, ‘Greyzone’, ‘Jordskott’, ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ and much more. Customers can also rent or buy the latest blockbuster Hollywood and Nordic films in the Viaplay Store.
- Kids’ content: ‘Fixi in Playland’, ‘Mia’s Magic Playground’, ‘Paw Patrol’, ‘Dora the Explorer’, ‘SpongeBob SquarePants’ and more.
In addition, NENT Group has secured the exclusive Icelandic media rights to the following sports: Formula 1, Bundesliga football and handball, WTA tennis, Major League Baseball, NASCAR, Dutch Eredivisie, Danish Superliga, Swedish Allsvenskan, Division 1 Féminine, French Cup football, the CONCACAF Nations League, the 2021 Copa América and much more. The majority of these events are currently postponed due to the global coronavirus outbreak, and NENT Group will launch its Viaplay sports package in Iceland when these events become available.
Additional content will be added to each Viaplay category over the coming months. All Viaplay Originals and kids’ content will have Icelandic subtitles or be dubbed, and selected sports content will have Icelandic commentary.
Anders Jensen, NENT Group President and CEO: “Viaplay is a Nordic streaming success story and completing our regional footprint with Iceland is a very natural next step. From 1 April, we will offer viewers in Iceland more high-quality Nordic originals than anybody else, along with award winning films and series and premium kids’ content, with world-class live sports to come. Viaplay already has 1.6 million subscribers across the Nordic region and is built to scale quickly. We look forward to bringing our unique storytelling to audiences in Iceland.”
Iceland is one of the world’s most connected countries with 75% of households having access to 1Gbit/s broadband speeds through fibre networks. There are currently 359,000 mobile broadband subscriptions amongst a population of 360,000 people. The government of Iceland’s goal is for 99% of homes and businesses to have access to at least 100Mbit/s speeds by 2022. As a result, Iceland is an ideal market for Viaplay’s unique and easy to use streaming offering.