Viu top major video streaming platform in Southeast AsiaMonday, June 15th, 2020
Viu ranks first by number of users amongst major video streaming platforms in Southeast Asia per Media Partners Asia’s AMPD Research Q1 2020 report highlights leadership by number of users, streaming minutes and time spent per week
HONG KONG — Viu, a leading pan-regional OTT video service from PCCW Media Group (SEHK:0008) with more than 41 million monthly active users*, is pleased to announce encouraging findings from a report covering Q1 2020 from AMPD Research, a subsidiary of Media Partners Asia (MPA).
Key highlights of the report:
- Viu ranks first by number of users amongst major video streaming platforms, excluding YouTube, in Southeast Asia**.
- Viu ranks second by streaming minutes amongst major streaming platforms, excluding YouTube, in Southeast Asia**.
- In terms of time spent per week among users, Viu ranks in the Top 4 in Indonesia, Thailand, Singapore and the Philippines, excluding YouTube.
Ms. Janice Lee, Managing Director of PCCW Media Group, said, “From the beginning, our focus has been to build the leading OTT streaming platform for today’s viewers with a sustainable and robust business model. With our dual revenue stream for monetization and our local offerings that are highly relevant in each country of operations, we have been the service of choice for our viewers across many markets. Our investments in content span the top pan-regional content, such as Parasite and A World of Married Couple to celebrated Viu Original productions including Asian adaptations of international formats such as Pretty Little Liars, My Bubble Tea and The Bridge. In addition to serving viewers with great content, we have built traction by offering high quality localization in languages and user experience in our markets. All this has helped us serve our users better and thereby achieve these rankings from AMPD Research.”
The report, entitled “Southeast Asia Online Video Consumer Insights & Analytics: A Definitive Study”, leverages MPA’s proprietary AMPD Research platform, which evaluates consumer behaviour and usage patterns across the digital economy, including online video and gaming. Using a unique solution that fuses passively observed digital behaviour and empirical survey data, the study is the result of research carried out between January 20 to April 11, 2020 in the four Southeast Asia** markets with insights collected from a sample of 32,245 individuals. The report also includes detailed analysis and profiles of 43 unique OTT platforms. The report will be updated again in Q3 and Q4 2020.
* as of the end of 2019.
** covers Indonesia, the Philippines, Singapore and Thailand.
Links: Viu; AMPD Research
- FAST revenues in Eastern Europe set to reach $42m by 2028
- Qvest becomes European League of Football FAST playout partner
- Wyplay acquires iFeelSmart
- Tenstorrent to build AI and RISC-V chiplets with LG for Smart TVs
- DISH brings its linear TV to the digital ad marketplace
- health tv launches first FAST channel with Amagi