Sony announces BRAVIA TVs with 'Cognitive Processor XR'Thursday, January 7th, 2021
Sony Electronics Announces New BRAVIA XR 8K LED, 4K OLED and 4K LED Models with New “Cognitive Processor XR”
- Innovative new processor mimics human brain to deliver a never-before-seen immersive viewing experience
SAN DIEGO — Sony Electronics Inc. today announced the world’s first cognitive intelligence televisions. The new BRAVIA XR televisions include MASTER Series Z9J 8K LED, MASTER Series A90J and A80J OLED, and X95J and X90J 4K LED.
Powered by the Cognitive Processor XR, the brain of the new BRAVIA XR, the televisions use a completely new processing method designed to replicate the ways humans see and hear. When we see objects, we unconsciously focus on certain points. Cognitive Processor XR, powered by cognitive intelligence, divides the screen into numerous zones and detects where the “focal point” is in the picture. While conventional Artificial Intelligence (AI) can only detect and analyze picture elements like color, contrast and detail individually, the new processor can cross-analyze an array of elements at once, just as our brains do. By doing so, each element is adjusted to its best final outcome, in conjunction with each other, so everything is synchronized and lifelike – something that conventional AI cannot achieve.
Cognitive Processor XR can also analyze sound position in the signal so the sound matches precisely with what’s on the screen. In addition, it upconverts any sound to 3D surround sound, to deliver supreme realism with an immersive soundscape. It learns, analyzes and understands unprecedented amounts of data and intelligently optimizes every pixel, frame and scene for the most lifelike picture and sound Sony has ever delivered.
“Sony’s goal is to offer viewers the best and most immersive experience – authentically delivering the creator’s true intent,” said Mike Fasulo, president and chief operating officer of Sony Electronics, Inc. “Our new BRAVIA CORE technology and the XR lineup takes the industry to the next level with a powerful, cinematic experience, enabled by the world’s first TVs with cognitive processors1.”
Key BRAVIA XR Lineup Highlights:
- BRAVIA CORE™: In collaboration with Sony Pictures Entertainment (SPE), BRAVIA CORE™ is where entertainment meets technology and was developed to add value and showcase unique Sony experiences. Pre-loaded on all new BRAVIA XR models, users can enjoy a selection of the latest SPE premium and classic titles and the largest IMAX Enhanced movie collection. BRAVIA CORE is the first in the industry to feature Pure Stream™ technology, achieving near lossless UHD BD equivalent quality with streaming up to 80 Mbps.
- Google TV: This lineup also introduces Google TV, a brand-new entertainment experience that brings together movies, shows, live TV and more from apps and subscriptions and organizes them just for you. Easily find something to watch with personalized recommendations and bookmark shows and movies to a single Watchlist to keep track of what to watch. Users can even add to their Watchlist from their phone or laptop with Google Search.
- HDMI 2.1 Compatibility: All BRAVIA XR TVs will feature HDMI 2.1 compatibility, including 4K 120fps, Variable Refresh Rate (VRR), Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) and e-ARC, supporting higher resolutions and frame rates ideal for next-generation gaming.
- Sound-from-Picture Reality™: In addition to best-in-class picture quality, the new Cognitive Processor XR also offers incredible sound with Sound-from-Picture Reality™, which aligns the position of the sound with the images on the screen to offer a uniquely lifelike experience.
- Hands-Free Voice Function: With hands-free voice control built into Sony’s Google TVs, you can set aside the remote and just use your voice to search for entertainment, get answers, and control the TV and smart home devices. Try saying “Hey Google, turn on the TV” or “Hey Google, what should I watch?”
- Smart Speaker Compatibility: With Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa enabled devices, you may cast and control videos from YouTube with Google Nest speakers or change the channel or volume with Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa enabled devices.
- Delivering the Creator’s Intent: The new models will continue to deliver the creator’s intent with Netflix Calibrated Mode, offering studio-quality Netflix content, and IMAX® Enhanced™, which features IMAX remastered picture and sound, as well as IMAX Enhanced Mode — fully optimized for playback of cinematic content.
1. Including a processor that cross-analyses multiple picture elements combined with focal points, recreating human perspective. As of December 2020, verified by Strategy Analytics.
2. Number and selection of titles differ by model and subject to change.
3. Normally video service is approximately 25-30Mbps depending on Internet condition.
4. Google TV integrated services are subject to terms and conditions and may change or terminate without notice.
5. VRR feature requires firmware update.
6. Compatible devices require internet connection. Voice Search is available using the included remote control, Android TV Remote Control application with Android 4.0 or higher, or using Sony’s TV SideView application available for Android 4.0.3 or higher or iOS 7.0 or higher.
7. Amazon Alexa enabled devices (sold separately) compatible with Sony’s TV devices. Amazon account required. Subscriptions may be required to access certain content. Sony’s TV and Alexa devices both require internet connection. Not all smart home features are supported via Alexa, please refer to the enabled Alexa skill for a list of supported features. Amazon, Echo, Alexa, and all related logos are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.
8. Google Nest speakers (sold sep). Requires compatible devices connected to the same wireless home network. Download the Google Home app from the iPhone App Store or Google Play. Subject to third party app terms and conditions. User must link compatible devices in order to control operation. Once download is complete, the Google Home feature may be connected to the Sony device to access the voice control function.
Links: Sony Electronics
- Bitmovin and MainStreaming partner to deliver broadcast-quality video streams
- New products and more countries for Amazon-built TV range
- Pay TV subscribers in Eastern Europe to fall to 73 million in 2028
- VIZIO selects Whip Media for WatchFree+ ad revenue reporting
- Qwilt partners with Telefónica to provide CDN services in Spain
- Ateme launches 'audience-aware' streaming solution