WDR expands HD capacity with SES at 19.2°EFriday, February 26th, 2021
WDR expands HD capacity with SES on ASTRA 19.2 degrees East
- Expansion of services allows German viewers to enjoy WDR’s TV programming in HD quality
LUXEMBOURG — The leading German public broadcaster Westdeutscher Rundfunk (WDR), regional member of the ARD broadcasting group operating in North Rhine-Westphalia, has expanded its partnership with SES S.A. to secure an additional transponder for High Definition (HD) programming on ASTRA 19.2 degrees East orbital position in a multi-year contract.
Starting 3 March 2021, viewers in the region will be able to receive WDR’s entire programming in HD quality, including the popular “WDR Lokalzeit”, a regionally focused program produced by WDR’s numerous local studios. Viewers who do not own an HD-capable television set will continue to receive WDR’s programming in SD format until termination of SD transmitting.
“Delivering reliable and high-quality free-to-air regional TV news and entertainment content is of upmost importance to WDR. Through our satellites at 19.2 degrees East and their ability to reach millions of households, we are able to fulfil the need of WDR and will continue to work together on future developments,” said Christoph Mühleib, Managing Director of ASTRA Deutschland GmbH.
- Irdeto ensures integrity of apps running on OSNtv
- Thales and Netskrt Systems collaborate on inflight VOD streaming
- Samsung chip to power Hyundai in-vehicle infotainment
- Radio Television Hong Kong selects Irdeto multi-DRM solution
- Spectrum Reach taps Beachfront for programmatic monetization of convergent TV
- Netgem enables multiscreen TV for ZEOP with new UI on Android TV