Accedo powers Sensical streaming service for kidsTuesday, August 3rd, 2021
Accedo Powers Sensical, Free Streaming Service for Kids 2-10 from Common Sense Networks
STOCKHOLM, Sweden — Accedo, the video experience solution provider, announced its continued partnership with Common Sense Networks, a for-profit affiliate of Common Sense Media and a Public Benefit Corporation, to deliver and evolve Sensical, an OTT service with carefully curated and vetted videos for kids ages 2 to 10. Accedo worked closely with Common Sense Networks to design and implement the new and innovative User Experience for kids and parents that is a differentiator in the market.
Custom developed by Accedo’s professional services team, Sensical, free and ad-supported, delivers an interest-based approach to streaming with over 50+ channels and boasts a series of unique and compelling user features for parents and caregivers enabling them to control the streaming content their children are watching.
The solution leverages Accedo’s industry leading Build and Control products. Build provides a robust set of device application frameworks that support all major platforms and firmwares while Control allows for dynamic, cloud-based configuration of the deployed user experience (UX), as well as the ability to conduct A/B and multivariate testing of the UX. The overall solution is also backed by Accedo’s carrier grade Service Management and Evolutive Maintenance offerings that will ensure a high quality of service is maintained for end users and future proofs Sensical as device platforms and firmwares evolve in the future.
Launching with 15,000 curated videos, Sensical allows parents and guardians to create a detailed profile for their child based on three distinctive tiers – preschool (ages 2-4), little kids (ages 5-7) and big kids (ages 8-10) and features built-in content controls. Parents are also able to curate customized playlists of the content they approve of, using favoriting functionality.
Eric Berger, CEO, Common Sense Networks, explains: “Our guiding principle for Sensical was that kids deserve better. In creating the age-appropriate service, we selected Accedo to support our goal to create a safe, quality user experience that put the needs of children and families first.” He added, “Accedo ensured that we had the right launch guardrails in place and worked with us to develop thoughtful channel tools like the ParentZone – a place where caregivers can capture information about the benefits of what their children are watching to extend the learning process. We’re especially proud of how seamlessly users can move through the app’s many tools and thank Accedo for its support in bringing our vision to life.”
Mrugesh Desai, Vice President, North America, Accedo, added: “With a plethora of content available at the click of a button, it is challenging for parents to ensure their children are viewing appropriate content. With Sensical, Common Sense Networks is delivering a safe environment in which parents can have the utmost confidence.”
Other key Sensical features developed by Accedo in partnership with Common Sense Networks are:
- Live TV: By selecting the TV icon within the Sensical app, users can quickly bring up the age-appropriate Live channel thoughtfully programmed in dayparts.
- Set and Watch Favorites: Children can tap the “star” icon next to any video, series or topic-based channel and it will be captured in their personal Favorites area within the app; they can create their own playlists with this content and access them across all screens.
- Closed Captioning: By electing to provide closed captioning on all content (not just content that has been on broadcast TV), and having content automatically play with captions as the default, Sensical reinforces its commitment to improving reading skills by helping a child move from decoding to comprehension.
- ParentZone, a dashboard tool allowing parents to review and manage all of their kid’s viewing activity, provides the following:
- Learning Reports: Parents have access to an automated tool which calculates daily viewing time ranked by 10+ learning benefits and the topics kids are watching. The tool compares how that time has shifted and what shows are being watched over the past seven or 30 days.
- Time Limits: Allows parents/caregivers to set viewing time for each child across all screens vs just one device. Parents also have the option of extending viewing time using their PIN code (vs removing the limit entirely) which is one of Sensical’s unique benefits.
- Why It’s Sensical: Parents can also click on the “i” icon embedded on every page to access the “Why It’s Sensical” feature to better understand the inherent benefits of a specific title (e.g. reading, math, science, movement, making, friendship, positive messages, problem solving).
Sensical has launched on iOS, Android, the Roku® platform, Amazon Fire TV and Apple TV. Introduced earlier this spring to Common Sense parents as part of an extensive closed beta, Sensical will expand to all major distribution platforms including VIZIO by summer’s end.