Multichoice reports results to end 3Q 2021Thursday, November 11th, 2021
JOHANNESBURG — MultiChoice Group (MCG, or the group), Africa’s leading video entertainment company, reported a satisfactory set of results for the period ended 30 September 2021 (1H FY22), achieving its best organic revenue growth since 2016 and successfully absorbing additional content costs.
The group increased its 90-day active subscriber base by 1m to reach 21.1m subscribers, split between 12.2m households (58%) in the Rest of Africa (RoA) and 8.9m (42%) in South Africa. This represents 5% year-on-year (YoY) growth, which came primarily from the Rest of Africa, thanks to major sporting events and successful local content productions. The South African economic environment remains challenging as the impact of COVID-19 has placed many consumers under financial pressure.
The South African business was impacted by an increasingly difficult consumer climate. In addition, the prior period benefitted from strict lockdown conditions as consumers prioritised video entertainment services. This resulted in muted 2% subscriber growth YoY or 0.2m subscribers on a 90-day active basis.
Connected Video users on DStv and Showmax continue to grow as online consumption increases. Paying Showmax subscribers increased by 42% YoY, contributing to an increase of 3% in the group’s African OTT market share since December 2020.
Rest of Africa
The Rest of Africa (RoA) business grew its 90-day active subscriber base by 0.8m subscribers or 7% YoY, with the closing base now surpassing the 12m mark at 12.2m. The popularity of local content such as Big Brother Naija and major sporting events contributed to another robust subscriber growth performance, supported by the segment’s regionalisation strategy.
Key performance indicators
As at 30 September
2021 YoY 2020 Organic 2021 % Reported growth Reported change -------- ------- -------- ------ 90-day active subscribers ('000) 20,061 993 21,054 5 South Africa 8,704 160 8,864 2 Rest of Africa 11,357 833 12,190 7 Subscribers ('000) 16,030 593 16,623 4 South Africa 8,108 85 8,193 1 Rest of Africa 7,922 508 8,430 6
1. Defined as all subscribers that have an active primary/principal subscription within the 90-day period on or before reporting date.
2. Subscriber numbers are a non-IFRS unaudited operating measure of the actual number of paying subscribers at the end of the respective period, regardless of the type of programming package to which they subscribe.
The technology segment, Irdeto, delivered a solid performance despite the global silicon chip shortage which impacted revenues.
During the year, Irdeto was successful in winning another two tier-1 media security customers, while also focusing on the development of new services such as connected transport, rail, construction equipment and medical devices. Irdeto’s Trusted Home product was rolled out in South Africa as part of the DStv Internet launch, offering customers enhanced home network security, parental controls and Wi-Fi management solutions.
- Insys Video Technologies simplifies video streaming with Bitmovin
- BeIN Media and Google Cloud announce media and broadcast collaboration
- Activated STBs grow to 3,166,461 for South Africa's Openview
- Singtel TV subscribers down 6,000 in 1Q 2023
- Orby Elevate selects EUTELSAT for DTH TV distribution in the US
- U.S. SVOD revenues to grow at a 6.3% CAGR over 2022-2027