Africa (Sub-Saharan) Digital TV News
Azuri offers solar-powered TV and DStv STB package in Kenya
Mar 24, 2021 – Azuri Technologies and MultiChoice have partnered to bring DStv content to off-grid households in Kenya. The deal bundles Azuri's TV400 32" solar powered TV and household energy solution, with a DStv HD decoder.
News categories: Azuri Technologies, MultiChoice, Simon Bransfield-Garth, Nancy Matimu, Digital TV, Kenya, Satellite, Set Top Box
South Africa begins analogue TV switch-off
Mar 16, 2021 – South Africa has started with the phased switch-off of analogue television transmitters in the Free State. The process, carried out province-by-province, is expected to complete by the end of March 2022.
News categories: Ministry of Communications and Digital Technologies, Content Distribution, Digital TV, South Africa, Terrestrial
Timetable released for digital switchover in Nigeria
Mar 11, 2021 – Phase 2 of digital switchover in Nigeria will commence with switch on in Lagos, Kano and Rivers states. The first analogue switch off is slated to take place on 28th May, 2021 in Abuja.
News categories: National Broadcasting Commission, Prof. Armstrong Idachaba, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Nigeria, Terrestrial
Nigeria sets-up Digital Switch Over task force
Feb 23, 2021 – Nigeria has created a Ministerial Task Force to drive the rollout of digital TV across the country. The conversion is to be private-sector driven, without subsidies for set-top-boxes or signal carriage.
News categories: Federal Ministry of Information and Culture, Content Distribution, Nigeria, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial
SpotX to be provide SSP for LG Smart TV advertising
Feb 11, 2021 – SpotX has announced a partnership with LG to serve as its primary supply-side platform (SSP) in the US, EMEA, and Latin America. SpotX is also providing LG with demand facilitation services.
News categories: SpotX, LG Electronics, Mike Laband, Matt Durgin, Advertising, Africa, Big Data, Digital TV, Europe, Latin America, Middle-East, OTT, Smart TV, USA
OyaWatch TV launched in Nigeria on Red Bee's OTT platform
Feb 9, 2021 – OyaWatch TV is a Nigerian subscription based streaming service that launched on February 5th on Red Bee Media’s OTT platform. It includes a wide variety of content distributed through the Red Bee Channel Store.
News categories: Red Bee Media, OyaWatch, Steve Nylund, Ronaldo Minaise, Apps, Digital TV, Nigeria, OTT
OTT revenues in Africa to grow to $1.7bn by 2026
Jan 11, 2021 – According to Digital TV Research, OTT movie and TV episode revenues in Africa will reach $1,725 million by 2026 – up from $392 million in 2020, with SVOD being the main revenue driver by a long way.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Africa, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT
Pay TV subscribers in Africa to exceed 50 million by 2026
Jan 4, 2021 – According to Digital TV Research, nearly 17 million pay TV subscribers will be added in Africa between 2020 and 2026 to take the total to 51 million.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Africa, Digital TV, Subscribers
NetRange cloud app portal selected by itel for new Smart TVs
Dec 3, 2020 – itel has selected the NetRange VISNOS Smart TV app portal for its new Smart TV range. NetRange VISNOS moves app functionality to the cloud enabling an advanced Smart TV experience on low end/low CPU-powered TVs.
News categories: NetRange, itel, Tim Schröder, Frank Gao, Africa, Apps, India, OTT, Smart TV, UX, Vietnam
- LTN Global launches universal signaling for linear addressable TV advertising
- Worldwide semiconductor revenue grew 10.4% in 2020
- Freeview Australia launches integrated HbbTV platform
- ACCESS licenses Ligada iSuite for NetFront Browser BE HbbTV testing
- PubMatic to integrate Samba TV data for CTV audience targeting
- Chinese suppliers take top three positions in TV panel shipments
- 2021 shaping up to be year of programmatic TV advertising in Europe
- WarnerMedia RIDE app now available for U.S. Toyota and Lexus owners
- discovery+ launches on Xfinity Flex and soon on X1
- CommScope to spin-off Home Networks business
- Disney+ rollout in Southern Asia going strong
- Western Europe pay TV subscribers to fall by 4 million
- Spain gives international travel authorisation for MWC21
- $18 million of Series B funding for IRIS.TV
- 8K TV households to reach 72 million worldwide by 2025
- Finecast extends TV reach with new UK ad inventory partners
- Delta Fiber selects Agama video monitoring and analytics
- CTA and NCTA extend STB energy efficiency agreement to 2025
- Altice USA completes acquisition of Morris Broadband
- MediaTek and Samsung introduce Wi-Fi 6E enabled 8K TV