Africa (Sub-Saharan) Digital TV News
Senegal's RTS turns to Globecast for international distribution
Mar 8, 2023 – Globecast has been selected by Radio Télévision Sénégalaise (RTS) to grow its international presence. Globecast is providing international distribution for the public broadcaster's main channel, RTS1.
News categories: Globecast, RTS, Lionel Antoine, Racine Talla, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Senegal, Worldwide
Openview launches satellite pay-TV in South Africa
Mar 2, 2023 – The Ultraview DTH service from Openview enables viewers to see additional bouquets of content for a monthly subscription, alongside free Openview content on a their satellite decoder.
News categories: Openview, Digital TV, Satellite, South Africa
Multichoice, NBCUniversal and Sky to create streaming service for Africa
Mar 2, 2023 – MultiChoice (JSE: MCG), NBCUniversal and Sky (NASDAQ: CMCSA) have announced a partnership that will bring Showmax streaming to MultiChoice's 50-market footprint in sub-Saharan Africa.
News categories: MultiChoice, NBCUniversal, Sky, Calvo Mawela, Matt Strauss, Dana Strong, Africa, Digital TV, MandA, Streaming
Africa to add 9 million more SVOD subscriptions by 2028
Feb 13, 2023 – According to Digital TV Research, Africa will have 15.57 million paying SVOD subscriptions by 2028, up from 6.15 million at end-2022. Despite this fast growth, SVOD penetration rates will remain low.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Africa, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming
Globecast powers distribution of 2022 World Cup for New World TV
Feb 2, 2023 – New World TV turned to Globecast to provide satellite distribution services for the recent Qatar football tournament. New World TV is a satellite-based TV network operating across Sub-Saharan Africa.
News categories: Globecast, New World TV, Yann Madeline, Redha Chibani, Africa, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Satellite
Africa pay TV to grow to 57 million subscribers by 2028
Jan 9, 2023 – According to Digital TV Research, 16 million pay TV subscribers will be added in Africa between 2022 and 2028 to take the total to 57 million. Subscriber numbers will climb faster than revenues indicating that subscribers will pay less.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Africa, Digital TV, Subscribers
SABC launches SABC+ streaming service
Nov 17, 2022 – The South African Broadcasting Corporation has launched its OTT platform, SABC+. The streaming app includes 19 radio stations and 3 TV channels as well its sports and 24-hour news channels.
News categories: SABC, Madoda Mxakwe, Apps, Digital TV, Smart TV, South Africa, Streaming
MultiChoice pay-TV subscribers up 1.0m YoY at end-September
Nov 10, 2022 – MultiChoice has announced results for the period ended 30 September 2022. The group’s linear pay-TV subscriber base increased by 1.0m to reach 22.1m households, consisting of 9.1m in South Africa and 13.0m in the Rest of Africa.
News categories: MultiChoice, Calvo Mawela, Africa, Content Protection, Digital TV, Results, Satellite, Smart TV, South Africa, Streaming, Subscribers
Canal+ migrates EasyTV delivery to Ku-band with Enensys
Oct 6, 2022 – ENENSYS has announced that it has delivered an upgrade of CANAL+ International's EasyTV service in Africa, migrating the existing DVB-T2 network from DVB-T2/T2MI over C-band delivery to DVB-SIS over Ku-band.
News categories: Enensys, CANAL+ International, Aucom, Didier Farcy, Cedric Vialle, Villiers Joubert, Africa, Content Distribution, Digital TV, DVB-T2, Satellite
- Bitmovin and MainStreaming partner to deliver broadcast-quality video streams
- New products and more countries for Amazon-built TV range
- Pay TV subscribers in Eastern Europe to fall to 73 million in 2028
- VIZIO selects Whip Media for WatchFree+ ad revenue reporting
- Qwilt partners with Telefónica to provide CDN services in Spain
- Ateme launches 'audience-aware' streaming solution
- SAPEC to develop encoder for first live 8K DTT broadcast
- Big Media launches The New Frontier channel with VlogBox
- Bedrock expands 6play max availability to more connected devices
- Slower AR/VR headset shipment growth expected for 2023
- Netgem completes sale of Fibre France business to Nordnet
- Integral Ad Science ad verification goes live with Netflix
- DoubleVerify media quality measurement now available to Netflix advertisers
- EU clears acquisition of VOO and Brutélé by Orange, subject to conditions
- Liberty Global Belgium to launch takeover bid for Telenet Group Holding
- Proximus extends partnership with ThinkAnalytics
- Allente launches Google TV device powered by 3SS and SEI Robotics
- Streaming TV now most-watched TV form in the EU5
- StarHub introduces interactive advertising with Hoppr
- Breezeline Stream TV launches in Pennsylvania