Africa (Sub-Saharan) Digital TV News
Disney+ now available on webOS LG TVs in more countries
Jun 14, 2022 – The Disney+ app is now available on LG TVs in over forty new countries and territories across Africa, Europe and the Middle East. More LG TV owners can now enjoy Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic and Star, as long as their TV runs webOS from 2017 or later.
News categories: LG Electronics, Disney Plus, Africa, Apps, Digital TV, Europe, Middle-East, Smart TV, Streaming
Globecast, France Télévisions and Orange trial 4K channel and 5G contribution in La Réunion
May 10, 2022 – Globecast has partnered with France Televisions Overseas, and its Regionale Directorate Réunion La 1ère, to trial a 4K pop-up channel on La Réunion. Globecast and Orange created a trial of 4K contribution over 5G for the event.
News categories: Globecast, France Télévisions, Orange, Samy Nicolas Bouchalat, Philippe Bernard, Eric Grand, Frédéric Ayangma, 5G, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Mascarene Islands
MultiChoice to bring Disney+ to South African DStv subscribers
Apr 25, 2022 – MultiChoice has announced that it will bring Disney’s direct-to-consumer streaming service, Disney+, to DStv subscribers in South Africa. Disney+ will launch on 18 May 2022 and will be available to DStv subscribers via the Explora Ultra decoder.
News categories: MultiChoice, Walt Disney, Calvo Mawela, Christine Service, Apps, Digital TV, Satellite, Set Top Box, South Africa
SES orders SES-26 satellite from Thales Alenia Space
Mar 28, 2022 – SES has ordered SES-26, a fully software-defined geostationary (GEO) satellite, from Thales Alenia Space. The digital satellite with both Ku-band and C-band frequencies will replace SES's NSS-12 satellite at 57° East.
News categories: SES S.A, Thales, Steve Collar, Hervé Derrey, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Ethiopia, Satellite
South Africa to switch-off analogue TV on March 31st
Feb 28, 2022 – South Africa's Minister of Communications and Digital Technologies has determined that the 31st of March 2022 will be the date for the final switch-off of the analogue TV and the end of dual illumination in the country.
News categories: Department of Communications and Digital Technologies, Digital TV, South Africa, Terrestrial
PCCW's Viu enjoys significant growth in 2021
Feb 28, 2022 – Viu has announced that the platform saw a growth of approximately 30% in Monthly Active Users (MAU) in 2021 as compared to 2020, reaching 58.6 million. Viu also enjoyed a total of 8.4 million paid subscribers at year end.
News categories: PCCW, Viu, Janice Lee, Asia, Digital TV, Middle-East, South Africa, Streaming, Subscribers
Netgem powers ZEOPTV streaming service in Réunion
Feb 16, 2022 – ZEOP has announced the launch of ZEOPTV in Réunion. ZEOPTV offers an entertainment streaming experience to fibre subscribers on any screen, including for the first time on the NetgemTV-powered platform on Apple TV and Android TV.
News categories: Netgem, ZEOP, Mathias Hautefort, Xavier Joseph, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Fibre, Mascarene Islands
OTT in Africa to generate $2 billion in 2027
Feb 11, 2022 – According to Digital TV Research, OTT movie and TV episode revenues in Africa will reach $2 billion in 2027. South Africa and Nigeria will together account for 56% of the total by 2027, leaving $896 million divided between the other 33 countries.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Africa, Digital TV, Market Research, Streaming
iWedia to provide STB system integration services to Canal+ International
Feb 8, 2022 – iWedia has announced that it is working on a new deployment with CANAL+ International, providing software services as the broadcaster consolidates its growth in multiple territories with an additional set-top box (STB) supplier.
News categories: iWedia, CANAL+ International, Hans-Jürgen Desor, Jerome Trift, Africa, Digital TV, Satellite, Set Top Box, Software, Worldwide
- Nielsen Admosphere to implement cross-platform TV audience measurement in the Czech Republic
- ASTA-NET selects CryptoGuard to secure IPTV services in Poland
- Redge Technologies extends contract with TVN Warner Bros. Discovery
- ViX+, TelevisaUnivision’s premium SVOD tier, debuts on July 21
- Eurofins releases updated NEXTGEN TV logo certification test suite
- Xfinity Stream app launches on Apple TV 4K and Apple TV HD
- Tencent Video available in NetRange Smart TV app store
- Gibtelecom launches new TV platform with Netgem
- izzi adds anti-piracy and extended threat defense technologies from Verimatrix
- MEO deploys Velocix CDN and cloud-native VRM platforms
- AminoOS deployed to Vodafone Iceland’s legacy Samsung STBs
- Bhimavaram Community Network chooses Skyworth for 4K RDK IPTV set-tops
- Synaptics selects Allegro DVT VVC compliance streams
- NextGen TV launches in Shreveport, LA
- Sunrise deploys Media Distillery to enhance TV user experience
- Vewd brings in-vehicle streaming to Renesas R-Car automotive chipsets
- Omdia expects pay TV & online video subscriptions to pass 3 billion in 2027
- SeaChange Advanced Advertising Platform selected by Armstrong and BEAM
- U.S. streaming video consumers becoming more price sensitive
- SES-22 to launch on June 29th