Nigeria Digital TV News
TV Anywhere and UniqCast power GloTV launch in Nigeria
Sep 4, 2021 – TV Anywhere Africa has partnered with Globacom to launch GloTV in Nigeria. UniqCast provided an OTT platform as part of the turnkey solution, enabling the TV Anywhere service offering.
News categories: UniqCast, TV Anywhere Africa, Globacom, Darko Robic, Obafemi Banigbe, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Nigeria, Streaming
TStv Africa acquires MYTV
Aug 12, 2021 – TStv has reached an agreement with Strong Technology for the migration of MYTV customers on SRT 497S-HEVC decoders to TStv Africa. MY TV will cease broadcasting on September 1, 2021.
News categories: TStv Africa, Strong Technology, My TV Africa, Dr. Bright Echefu, Digital TV, MandA, Nigeria, Satellite, Set Top Box
Verimatrix CA chosen for digital TV switchover initiative in Nigeria
Jul 19, 2021 – Verimatrix (Paris: VMX) has announced that Renmore Partners has chosen its conditional access. Renmore Partners has a license to offer an alternative STB solution for the Nigerian digital switchover project.
News categories: Verimatrix, Renmore Partners, Asaf Ashkenazi, Zahid Mirza, Conditional Access, Digital TV, Nigeria, Set Top Box, Terrestrial
Timetable released for digital switchover in Nigeria
Mar 11, 2021 – Phase 2 of digital switchover in Nigeria will commence with switch on in Lagos, Kano and Rivers states. The first analogue switch off is slated to take place on 28th May, 2021 in Abuja.
News categories: National Broadcasting Commission, Prof. Armstrong Idachaba, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Nigeria, Terrestrial
Nigeria sets-up Digital Switch Over task force
Feb 23, 2021 – Nigeria has created a Ministerial Task Force to drive the rollout of digital TV across the country. The conversion is to be private-sector driven, without subsidies for set-top-boxes or signal carriage.
News categories: Federal Ministry of Information and Culture, Content Distribution, Nigeria, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial
OyaWatch TV launched in Nigeria on Red Bee's OTT platform
Feb 9, 2021 – OyaWatch TV is a Nigerian subscription based streaming service that launched on February 5th on Red Bee Media’s OTT platform. It includes a wide variety of content distributed through the Red Bee Channel Store.
News categories: Red Bee Media, OyaWatch, Steve Nylund, Ronaldo Minaise, Apps, Digital TV, Nigeria, Streaming
Syinix to launch Android TV in Ghana and Nigeria
Sep 3, 2020 – Syinix will launch its first Android TV in Ghana and Nigeria on September 15. The TV features a frameless screen display, Bluetooth 5.0, 4K Ultra HD and Dolby Surround Sound as well as Android TV.
News categories: Syinix, Android TV, Digital TV, Ghana, Nigeria, Smart TV
Satellite TV gains popularity in Ghana and Nigeria
Jun 25, 2020 – An SES survey has revealed a steady increase in the penetration of satellite TV across Africa. The study shows an increase in SES reach from 33 million African households in 2018 to 35 million households in 2019.
News categories: SES S.A, Clint Brown, Cable TV, Digital TV, Ghana, IPTV, Market Research, Nigeria, Satellite, Subscribers, Terrestrial
Trefoil Networks launches OurTV on Nigcomsat 1R
Feb 13, 2020 – OurTV is an African DTH satellite TV service offering 20+ free-to-view channels via its OurTV set-top box or decoder. Protected by Verimatrix, OurTV hybrid STBs offer PVR and allow users to watch YouTube and other OTT.
News categories: Trefoil Networks, OurTV, Africa, Content Distribution, Content Protection, Digital TV, Nigeria, Satellite
- Mirada to power MNC's Vision+ streaming service in Indonesia
- Munich court rules Netflix infringing Broadcom video patent
- India Smart TV market grew 8% YoY in 1H23
- TV Monaco starts operations supported by Qvest
- Caretta Research: MVPDs must evolve into 'super aggregators'
- Barb upgrades API with BVOD, SVOD, video-sharing and non-TV device data
- U.S. JIC conditionally certifies Comscore, iSpot and VideoAmp currencies
- Global SVOD revenues to surpass $127bn in 2029
- Ateme enables 5G Broadcast transmission in the U.S.
- Amazon announces Fire TV product updates
- TCL adds Fire TV options to U.S television portfolio
- Another slow year expected for AR/VR headsets
- Intigral partners with DIAGNAL to enhance entertainment experiences
- Du chooses DataMiner monitoring for broadcast and teleport operations
- TSTT switches to Zappware's multi-screen client framework
- Allegro DVT launches video encoder IP for 4K/8K video
- AVOD revenues to hit $69 billion in 2029
- ZTE unveils updated Cloud PVP solution at IBC 2023
- Accedo brings AI-powered sports highlights to Accedo Launcher
- 76% of Nordic households now have an internet connected TV set