iWedia to deliver Live TV app for Google TV and Android TV devicesWednesday, September 28th, 2022
Google partners with iWedia to deliver Live TV app for Google TV™ and other Android TV™ OS devices
- Premium licensed app will improve the user experience and enable TV manufacturers to add more value and increase revenue streams
LAUSANNE, Switzerland — iWedia, a leading provider of software components and solutions for connected TV devices, announced today that it is working with Google to develop and deliver a Live TV application for Google TV and other Android TV OS devices. The Live TV app, which is set to begin roll-out in Europe in the coming months, has already been licensed by Shenzhen Chuangwei-RGB Electronics Co., Ltd., one of the largest TV manufacturers in the world.
Live TV is one of the most used applications on Android TV OS devices. Following feedback from end users, Google wanted to update and improve the user experience and give more value to TV brands.
Google is working with iWedia to deliver a premium licensed Live TV app, giving TV brands the choice to offer greater value and a superior user experience to their customers.
As well as basic features such as an EPG guide, channel list and parental controls, the Live TV app will deliver major new features upon launch, including:
- Branding options for TV brands, with customizable look and feel
- User friendly design and navigation
- Rich metadata (optional add-on)
- Voice Control with Google Assistant
- Deep linking with streaming services (in roadmap)
- Seamless integration with Google TV’s Live TV tab
Hans-Jürgen Desor, CEO, iWedia, said, “We are honored that Google has partnered with iWedia to deliver this ambitious project, which involves the design, development and integration of complex broadcast TV functionality, as well as multi-country certification. With a modern, user-friendly UI and options for brands to add value as well as increase revenues, we know that this app – which has already won the confidence of both Google and Skyworth – will meet and even exceed the needs of both TV manufacturers and end users.”
The Live TV App will be enabled in different territories in stages, with the first deployment planned in Europe in Q4 2022. The App will also be made available as part of efforts to scale Android TV OS for STB suppliers that target specific retail markets in Europe.
- Bitmovin and MainStreaming partner to deliver broadcast-quality video streams
- New products and more countries for Amazon-built TV range
- Pay TV subscribers in Eastern Europe to fall to 73 million in 2028
- VIZIO selects Whip Media for WatchFree+ ad revenue reporting
- Qwilt partners with Telefónica to provide CDN services in Spain
- Ateme launches 'audience-aware' streaming solution