88% of U.S. households have an SVOD serviceWednesday, August 9th, 2023
83% of U.S. Households Have an SVOD Service
- Additional Streaming Services Account for an Incremental 5% of all Households
DURHAM, NH — New consumer research from Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) finds that 83% of all U.S. households have a subscription video on-Demand (SVOD) service from Netflix, Amazon Prime, and/or Hulu – compared to 83% in 2022, 78% in 2020, 69% in 2018, and 52% in 2015.
Twelve additional streaming video services account for an incremental 5% of all households with at least one SVOD or Direct-to-consumer (DTC) service beyond the top three. This brings the total to 88% of all households with an SVOD/DTC service – compared to 82% in 2020. And, 53% of all households have four or more SVOD/DTC services – compared to 33% in 2020.
These findings are based on a survey of 2,101 households nationwide and are part of a new LRG study, Emerging Video Services 2023. This is LRG’s seventeenth annual study on this topic.
Other related findings include:
- The mean number of SVOD/DTC services in all households is 4.1 – compared to 2.9 in 2020
- The mean number of SVOD/DTC services among ages 18-44 is 5.1 – compared to 3.7 among ages 45-64, and 2.2 among ages 65+
- 42% of all adults stream a top SVOD service daily – compared to 41% in 2021, 30% in 2018, and 16% in 2015
- Ages 18-44 account for 59% of adults using SVOD daily
- 57% of adults watch video on non-TV devices (including mobile phones, home computers, tablets, and eReaders) daily – compared to 54% in 2021, 46% in 2018, and 33% in 2015
- 81% of ages 18-34 watch video on non-TV devices daily – compared to 62% of ages 35-54, and 32% of ages 55+
“The top three SVOD services remain the base of the streaming category, with 83% of all households having one of these services, while 88% of households have any streaming video services. Yet, as the streaming market has expanded and the total number of services in the home has increased, the top SVOD services’ market share has begun to wane,” said Bruce Leichtman, president and principal analyst for Leichtman Research Group, Inc. “Of the fifteen SVOD/DTC services in this survey, the three top SVOD services now account for 43% of all streaming services in consumers’ homes, compared to 56% in 2020.”
Links: Leichtman Research