Germany had 28 million Online Video Viewers Watch More Than 3 billion Videos in December 2008Monday, February 16th, 2009
Google Sites Captures 51 Percent of Online Video Market Share as 1.7 Billion Videos are Viewed on YouTube.com
LONDON, U.K. — comScore, Inc. (NASDAQ: SCOR), a leader in measuring the digital world, today released data from the comScore Video Metrix service, indicating that 28.5 million German Internet users viewed a video online in December 2008, up 10 percent versus the previous year.
Google Sites Most Popular Online Video Destination in Germany
Driven by the popularity of YouTube.com (which accounted for 98 percent of all videos viewed on the property), Google Sites grew 48 percent versus a year ago to further solidify its position as the leading online video viewing property in Germany, attracting 19.4 million viewers in December 2008.
Universal Music Group ranked second with 8.6 million viewers (up 19 percent), followed by two German properties, ProSiebenSat1 Sites and RTL Group Sites, which attracted 6.5 and 4.1 million viewers respectively. Megavideo.com had the fastest rate of growth among the top ten video properties, growing 1,183 percent to 2.1 million viewers in December.
German Video Viewers Watched Four Videos per Day in December 2008
Germany’s 28.5 million online video viewers watched a total of 3.4 billion videos in December 2008, an average of 118.8 videos per viewer, or approximately four videos per day. Google Sites led the pack with 51 percent of all videos viewed, followed by ProSiebenSat1 Sites (1.9 percent) Universal Music Group (1.7 percent), and RTL Group Sites (1.0 percent).
Other notable findings from December 2008 include:
- 77.1 percent of the total German Internet audience viewed online video.
- The total German online video viewing audience watched a combined 233 million hours of video content.
- 19.2 million viewers watched 1.7 billion videos on YouTube.com (88 videos per viewer).
- The average online video duration was 4.1 minutes.
- According to comScore M: Metrics and based on a three month average ending November 2008, 3.9 million mobile phone subscribers, of which nearly half (47 percent) were younger than 25 years of age, used their phone to watch any kind of TV or video in Germany.