HiSilicon to add Dolby Vision HDR to Ultra HD chipsetsThursday, September 3rd, 2015
HiSilicon and Dolby Collaborate to Bring Dolby Vision HDR to Ultra High-Definition Video Chipsets
SAN FRANCISCO & SHENZHEN, China — Dolby Laboratories, Inc. (NYSE:DLB) and HiSilicon, a worldwide leading semiconductor company that provides silicon solutions in digital home, communications, and wireless terminals, today announced a collaboration to offer Dolby Vision™ 4K UHD system-on-a-chip (SoC) technologies for Ultra HD set-top boxes (STBs) for the DVB, IPTV, and OTT markets, including Android™ platform-based STBs, with the HiSilicon® Hi3798C V200 chipsets. This will be the first global Ultra HD STB chipset solution to support Dolby Vision high-dynamic-range (HDR) technology. Based on the powerful CPU and GPU capabilities of Hi3798C V200 chipsets and the Dolby Vision HDR solution, HiSilicon can provide a secure ultra-low power Android platform with impressive TV experiences for feature-rich 4K entertainment and gaming services.
“People continually pursue clearer picture quality, richer colors, and more realistic images, which drive the video industry in booming development. Ultra high definition is a new opportunity and also a new challenge for the whole pay-TV industry. HiSilicon is committed to investing in and innovating digital home solutions. We are very glad to collaborate with Dolby to provide superior performance and enable richer experiences for both operators and end users by integrating Dolby Vision into our chipset. The industry is convinced that 4Kp60 is part of the future of HDR,” said Qiu Gang, President, HiSilicon. ”With more than 24 years of experience in semiconductors and 10 years in the digital home market, we are focused on sustainable growth of operators in the pay-TV market, with cost-efficient solutions and more value-added services. We are committed to protecting the investment of operators and partners.”
“We are thrilled to collaborate with HiSilicon on the integration of Dolby Vision VS10 into their STB chipset solutions,” said Giles Baker, Senior Vice President, Broadcast Business Group, Dolby Laboratories. “HiSilicon is a key partner in the device ecosystem, and as a result of our collaboration, operators and OEMs will be able to deliver a dramatically enhanced visual experience, with astonishing brightness, incomparable contrast, and captivating color to consumers around the world.”
The HiSilicon Ultra HD chipset family includes Hi3798C V200 (4Kp60 with HDR), Hi3798M V100, and Hi3796M V100. The chipset series provides 4K solutions from entry level to high end. To build an advanced security system based on Android, the chipset series has already integrated ARM® TrustZone®, security video path, trusted execution environment (TEE), and forensic watermarking technologies. The security solution takes care of every detail of 4K security, protecting premium Ultra HD content. The protection chain can cover processes from power on, boot, Android kernel loading, middleware launching, and app running to UI operation.
Key features of Hi3798C V200 chipsets include the following:
- The industry-leading quad-core ARM Cortex® A53 64-bit CPU provides up to 15K DMIPS for the operator to deploy Android TV/Android Open Source Project services and HTML5-based feature-rich media applications for an outstanding TV experience.
- The industry-first STB SoC for DVB and IPTV with Dolby Vision HDR technology provides an immersive best-in-class video quality experience.
- The HiVXETM2.0 video engine supports 2160p60 HEVC and VP9 decoding, 1080p PIP, and transcoding capability for flexible video sharing and playback.
- A multi-core ARM MaliTM-T720 GPU with OpenGL ES3.1/2.0/1.1/1.0, OpenVG1.1, EGL, and ImprexTM2.0 PQ engine, optimized for the Android gaming ecosystem, makes it possible for the operator to provide extreme gaming services for end users.
- A next-generation security engine that supports a secure video path with TrustZone, and hardware based video watermarking technologies that are in compliance with recent MovieLabs UHD premium service-delivery requirements.
- Ultra low power for both standby and normal playback, sharing the common platform with the mobile chipset, HiSilicon STB chipsets integrate advanced low-power technologies for the design of energy-efficient products to help minimize environmental impact.
- A strong portfolio of software development kits (SDKs), including Android TV, Linux® middleware, and RDK enables operators to quickly deploy services and applications across all screens. Providing Android STBs for multiple generations since 2010, HiSilicon SDKs are stable and easy to use.