Digital TV News: DisplaySearch
Chinese TV set makers most aggressive with 4K TV marketing
Oct 21, 2013 – According to NPD DisplaySearch, 1.3 million 4K TV sets will ship globally in 2013, rising to 23 million in 2017, and Chinese set makers are looking to break out of their domestic market and challenge Samsung, LGE, Sony, Panasonic, and other 4K TV leaders on a global stage.
News categories: DisplaySearch, Paul Gray, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV
Hillcrest motion, gesture and cursor control for Hisense smart TVs and set-tops
Sep 4, 2013 – Hillcrest Labs and Hisense have announced a strategic partnership by which Hisense will deploy Hillcrest's patented Freespace® in-air pointing and motion control software in its next-generation of Smart TVs and Pulse set-top boxes.
News categories: Hillcrest Labs, Hisense, Digital TV, Middleware, Set Top Box, Smart TV
LCD TV growth strong in China; demand in developed regions declines
Sep 3, 2013 – According to NPD DisplaySearch, Q2'13 overall worldwide TV shipments were down 3% Y/Y, though LCD TV shipments managed to grow 4% Y/Y. The overall trend in total shipments, while still negative, is showing some improvement from last year.
News categories: DisplaySearch, Digital TV, LCD TV, LED, Market Research, Plasma, Smart TV
Emerging markets opt for Smart TVs at greater rate than mature markets
Aug 30, 2013 – According to the NPD DisplaySearch Quarterly Smart TV Usage Study, consumers in emerging markets are twice as likely as those in mature markets to purchase an internet-enabled smart TV in the coming 12 months.
News categories: DisplaySearch, Market Research, Smart TV
Gaming Consoles Lead Global Connected TV Usage
Apr 9, 2013 – With growing interest in streaming content, online gaming, and apps on TVs, households are increasingly finding ways to connect their TVs to the Internet. In several developed countries, game consoles have become the most popular way to make that connection, according to NPD DisplaySearch.
News categories: DisplaySearch, Blu-ray, China, Digital TV, DVD, France, Games Console, Germany, Italy, Japan, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, UK, USA
Global LCD TV Shipments Fall for the First Time in 2012
Mar 21, 2013 – Annual global LCD TV shipments declined for the first time ever in 2012, down 1% to 203 million, according to the latest findings from DisplaySearch. Q4 was the only quarter to see any growth, rising 0.6%, but it was not enough to offset declines from the first three quarters.
News categories: DisplaySearch, Digital TV, LCD TV, Market Research, Smart TV
4Kx2K LCD TV Panel Shipments Expected to Reach 2.6M in 2013
Mar 14, 2013 – According to the latest NPD DisplaySearch Quarterly Large Area TFT Panel Shipment Report, TFT LCD panel suppliers are forecast to ship 2.6 million 4Kx2K LCD TV panels (also known as Ultra HD) worldwide in 2013, up more than 40-fold from 63 thousand in 2012.
News categories: DisplaySearch, David Hsieh, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV
Opera TV Store integrated with MediaTek's Smart TV chipsets
Feb 5, 2013 – Opera has announces that MediaTek has integrated the Opera TV Store with its Smart TV chipsets. Manufacturers that use MediaTek chipsets can now provide web functionality and application environments for their TVs, set-top boxes and media players.
News categories: Opera Software, MediaTek, Digital TV, Middleware, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Smart TV
- South Africa's Cabinet issues statement on conditional access
- Mongolia's MNBC migrates to DVB-T2 with Thomson video headend
- Qualy TV DTH arrives in Costa Rica
- Elliptic Technologies announces hardware-enforced content protection for Microsoft® PlayReady®
- Marvell unveils SoC for Google Services for Smart TVs with Hisense
- Bosnia's m:tel to upgrade IPTV service with Motorola
- Gartner says worldwide semiconductor revenue grew 5.2 percent in 2013
- LG to incorporate Qualcomm's AllJoyn into Smart TV platform
- Semiconductor sales recover in 2013
- Ono TV Online launches in Spain
- Rostelecom IPTV subscribers reach 2 million
- Sigma Designs announces turn-key hybrid set top box with Ginga
- SMiT launches CI+ 1.3 VoD CAM into Netherlands market
- INSIDE Secure protects premium mobile entertainment for Sky Italia
- Sequans and Huawei collaborate to advance LTE broadcast technology
- SmarDTV CI Plus modules for RCS & RDS pay TV in Romania and Hungary
- ATSC establishes Candidate Standard for Interactive TV
- Portugal adds 13,000 pay TV subscribers in 3Q 2013
- Smart TV market worth $265 billion by 2016
- New Zealand switches off analogue TV signal