Media Player News
Toshiba TVs certified for DivX Plus Streaming
May 7, 2013 — Rovi Corporation (Nasdaq:ROVI) has announced that Toshiba is launching a range of DTVs Certified for DivX Plus Streaming™. The agreement will enable Toshiba DTVs to support high-quality entertainment services from over-the-top providers such as KNOWHOW Movies by Dixons Retail in the UK.
News categories: Rovi Corp, Toshiba, Media Player, OTT, Smart TV
Tata Elxsi unveils HEVC Ultra HD (4K) decoder for CE Devices
Apr 8, 2013 — Tata Elxsi has announced the availability of a licensable HEVC Ultra HD (4K) Decoder targeted for broadcast, video conferencing and proliferating smart CE device such as smartphones, tablets, set-top boxes and gaming consoles.
News categories: Tata Elxsi, Media Player, NABShow
Rovi introduces HEVC-ready DivX Video Service
Apr 8, 2013 — Rovi Corporation (Nasdaq:ROVI) has announced DivX Video Service™, an end-to-end video solution for high-quality multi-screen video delivery that is designed to integrate with and enhance TV Everywhere and over-the-top entertainment services.
News categories: Rovi Corp, DRM, Infrastructure, Media Player, NABShow, OTT
Discretix and VisualOn Introduce SecurePlayer 2.0 at NAB Show
Apr 4, 2013 — Discretix and VisualOn have announced the release of SecurePlayer™ 2.0 at the NAB Show. SecurePlayer 2.0 is a media player for smartphones and tablets offering DRM security and high-quality video and audio playback for protected content.
News categories: Discretix, VisualOn, DRM, Media Player, Mobile, NABShow, OTT, Smartphone, Tablet
Changhong Chooses Rovi's DivX for Integration in Digital TVs
Mar 21, 2013 — Rovi Corporation (Nasdaq:ROVI) has announced that Changhong has selected DivX® video solutions for integration into its digital TVs. Changhong plans to add DivX Plus® HD Certification into TVs and support DivX Plus Streaming™ in its Smart TV line.
News categories: Rovi Corp, Changhong, Digital TV, Media Player, OTT, Smart TV
ALi Launches HD network media player with smartphone/tablet display mirroring
Mar 14, 2013 — ALi Corporation has announced the launch of a high definition network media player, M3912, featuring multiscreen video sharing technology. Applications of ALi’s M3912 include multiscreen bridges, DVB to IP thick clients and network multimedia players.
News categories: ALi Corp, Digital TV, Home Networking, Media Player, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Smartphone, Tablet, Wireless
Google and MPEG LA Announce Agreement Covering VP8 Video Format
Mar 7, 2013 — Google (NASDAQ: GOOG) and MPEG LA have announced that they have entered into agreements granting Google a license to techniques that may be essential to VP8 and earlier-generation VPx video compression technologies under patents owned by 11 patent holders.
News categories: MPEG LA, Licensing, Media Player, Patent
FilmFlex Selects Irdeto to Protect On-Demand Movies on iOS and Android Devices
Mar 5, 2013 — Irdeto (JSE: NPN) has announced that FilmFlex has selected the company to secure its premium entertainment assets on iOS and Android smartphones and tablets. FilmFlex is using Irdeto's ActiveCloak™ to ensure the content delivered by FilmFlex customers is secured according to the robustness rules imposed by studios.
News categories: Irdeto, FilmFlex, Content Protection, Digital TV, DRM, Media Player, OTT, Smartphone, Tablet, TV Everywhere, UK
- Multiscreen video delivery via residential gateways a fast-growing trend
- TalkTalk is Britain's fastest growing new TV service
- Vodafone to use Deutsche Telekom network for IPTV in Germany
- More than 3,000 on-demand services in Europe
- Russia to add 900,000 IPTV subscribers in 2013
- Mobile TV & video viewers to exceed 2 billion by 2017
- 24% of Russian homes equipped for satellite TV reception
- Belkin launches Dyle™ Mobile TV Receiver for iPad/iPhone
- Eastern Europe to add 13 million digital TV homes in 2013
- Vivendi (Canal+, GVT) releases first quarter 2013 results
- Farncombe and Inview collaborate on OTT solutions for the LatAm market
- Espial powers Harvard Freeview hybrid STBs and multiscreen apps
- Bhagyanagar Digital Services Indian cable consortium to use Conax content security
- HD+ increases customer base to 1.1 million German households in 1Q 2013
- BT Vision subscribers up 40,000 to 810,000 in 1Q 2013
- Reliance Digital TV subscribers unchanged in 1Q 2013 at 4.6 million
- Canal+ Spain subscribers down 26,500 in 1Q 2013
- StarHub pay TV subscribers down 4,000 in 1Q 2013
- DISH Network Reports First Quarter 2013 Financial Results
- NHK and Mitsubishi Develop World's First HEVC Encoder for 8K Super Hi-Vision