Sky Deutschland Selects Broadcom Chipsets for HD Set-Top Box and Sky+ DVRMonday, August 2nd, 2010
Energy-Efficient System-on-a-Chip Solutions with HD DVR Enhance the Home Entertainment Experience
IRVINE, Calif. — Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ:BRCM), a global leader in semiconductors for wired and wireless communications, today announced that Sky Deutschland (XETRA: SKYD.DE), a leading pay-TV provider in Germany and Austria, has selected Broadcom’s high performance and energy-efficient satellite set-top box (STB) system-on-a-chip (SoC) solutions to enable multi-channel high definition (HD) and digital video recorder (DVR) functionality for subscribers. STBs and DVRs enabled by the Broadcom® BCM7325 and BCM7335 single-chip, multi-format HD satellite STB SoC solutions are now available to manufacturers.
- Sky Deutschland provides satellite, cable and Internet services featuring a diverse choice of unique TV options and high-quality, innovative programming with distribution to approximately 95 percent of Germany and 85 percent of Austria.
- Sky Deutschland selected Broadcom’s BCM7325 and BCM7335 satellite STB SoC solutions with HD and DVB-S2 support. The single-chip BCM7325 solution will power the next generation of HD non-DVR STBs, while the single-chip BCM7335 will be at the heart of Sky Deutschland’s first integrated digital video recorder called the Sky+. Both SoC solutions:
- Support MPEG-4 and integrate with NDS MediaHighway® STB software to enable a Flash-based user interface that takes ease-of-use to a higher level.
- Support high levels of design integration, coupled with advanced technology, to improve STB design flexibility, reduce overall development cost and accelerate time-to-market.
- The BCM7325 and BCM7335 SoC solutions integrates key functionality that includes support for the following:
- The European Commission’s (EC’s) Code of Conduct (CoC) on Energy Efficiency of Digital TV Service Systems to lower power consumption.
- NDS VideoGuard® conditional access and MediaHighway set-top box software to provide security and advanced services.
- DVB-S2 to support worldwide transmission standards.
The BCM7325 and BCM7335 SoC solutions are currently shipping in volume production to STB manufacturers.
- Tenstorrent to build AI and RISC-V chiplets with LG for Smart TVs
- DISH brings its linear TV to the digital ad marketplace
- health tv launches first FAST channel with Amagi
- Number of UK SVOD homes falls in 1Q 2023
- inext signs Moldova distribution contract with DIGIMAX
- EL PAIS begins live broadcasts on its FAST channel with The Channel Store