Broadcom Strengthens TV Market with New Satellite Out Door Unit TechnologyTuesday, September 6th, 2011
Simplifies Satellite TV Delivery; Meets Demand for TV Everywhere:
- Significantly lowers operators’ cost and complexity for residential and multi-dwelling unit (MDU) satellite installations and upgrades.
- Replaces multiple cables in the home with just one for easier set-up and better appearance in the home.
- Supports 24 independent broadcast channels, delivering more HD video streams, multi-room DVR and IP services throughout the home.
AMSTERDAM — IBC — Broadcom Corporation (Nasdaq: BRCM), a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today announced its entry into the satellite Out Door Unit (ODU) market with its 40nm BCM4550 Full-Band Capture Satellite Channel Stacker Solution. Broadcom is leveraging its expertise in satellite STB technology to scale into the ODU market. Visit Broadcom @ IBC for additional news.
Broadcom’s BCM4550 with integrated Full-Band Capture digital tuning technology dramatically minimizes satellite TV installation costs and complexity, delivering single wire architecture into the home. Enabling breakthrough design efficiency and scalable bandwidth to operators, Broadcom’s ODU technology meets industry demand for more set-top boxes in the home. This provides a TV everywhere connected home experience with additional HD video streams, multi-room DVR and IP services.
- Drives future TV: leapfrogs current analog architecture by moving to digital and supporting up to 24 minimally spaced channels; opens up the ability to stream independent HD broadcast streams and IP services from a single cable to multiple connected devices, delivering next-generation satellite TV.
- Simplifies installation and upgrades: Broadcom’s stacked channel technology allows single cable installation, which significantly reduces the cost and complexity for installs and upgrades with better home theater aesthetics for subscribers.
- Full-Band Capture (FBC): Broadcom’s digital tuning technology digitizes the entire spectrum enabling more efficient and flexible distribution of video streams and IP services.
- Lower system cost: replaces multiple analog ODU chips with a single lower cost mixed signal chip.
Broadcom’s 40nm BCM4550 Full-Band Capture Satellite Channel Stacker Solution is the industry’s first fully integrated satellite ODU solution to support FBC technology. It is now shipping to customers.
Dan Marotta, EVP & GM, Broadband Communications Group: “Driving the next evolution in satellite TV, our satellite ODU technology simplifies cabling architecture and dramatically reduces the cost and complexity to upgrade and install satellite TV while delivering multiple HD video streams and multi-room DVR services throughout the home.”