Broadcom Announces Industry's First 40nm Single Chip HomePlug® AV and IEEE 1901 Powerline DeviceTuesday, September 27th, 2011
Key Addition to Broadcom’s Home Networking Standards Portfolio
- Increases in-home network coverage for an easier plug-n-play connected home experience.
- Achieves industry’s highest level of integration, energy efficiency and smallest form factor, reducing overall costs and enabling new Powerline form factors.
- Drives adoption of interoperable HomePlug® AV in entertainment, home control and automation, and energy management applications in the next generation connected home.
PARIS — Broadband World Forum (BBWF) — Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today announced the industry’s first 40nm single chip monolithic Powerline Communications (PLC) SoC that is HomePlug® AV 1.1 certified and IEEE 1901 compliant. Using existing residential electrical wiring to create a home network, Broadcom’s BCM60321 Powerline Networking SoC enables increased in-home network coverage for an easier plug-n-play connected home experience. Learn more at Broadcom @ BBWF.
- Broadcom’s BCM60321 is the industry’s first 40nm single chip monolithic HomePlug® AV and IEEE1901 PLC chipset. Functionality includes:
- High Levels of Integration: combining analog and digital front end with line driver, modem and memory in small 9mm 76 pin QFN style package for a true single chip PLC solution.
- HomePlug® AV 1.1 and IEEE 1901 compliant: resides on 200Mbs physical layer.
- Small Form Factor: entire PLC modem design size of 51mm x 38mm is possible.
- Low Power Consumption: modems consume less than 2.5 Watts of power when “on” and less than 0.5W on “standby.”
- Intelligent Switching: provides repeating, channel bonding, failover and load balancing for layer-2 in multi-mode home networks.
- Fully Managed Network Functionality; supports remote network management and diagnostics for ISP deployments.
- Broadcom’s BCM60321 is HomePlug® AV 1.1 certified and IEEE 1901 compliant for high speed Powerline Communications. HomePlug AV is a technology standard designed to provide a 200 Mbps class powerline network.
- Broadcom is a sponsor member of HomePlug® Powerline Alliance, the organization responsible for establishing powerline standards and testing devices for compliance and interoperability.