Verizon Selects Motorola Medios Content Security for FiOS Flex ViewThursday, September 6th, 2012
Motorola continues its advanced content protection of Verizon’s FiOS Flex View with its Hollywood-approved, SecureMedia® multi-device streaming technology
HORSHAM, Pa. and BASKING RIDGE, NJ — The rapid adoption of connected devices means consumers expect to get their entertainment everywhere – even premium content. The challenge is that service providers must be able to deliver this content on a growing number of devices, while meeting studios’ and content providers’ rigorous standards for content protection and security.
Verizon (NYSE, Nasdaq: VZ) has selected Motorola Mobility (NASDAQ:GOOG) as a key DRM supplier to secure its FiOS Flex View multi-screen content service using the award-winning SecureMedia® Encryptonite ONE™ HLS+. Now, Verizon FiOS subscribers can use Flex View to enjoy their favorite network entertainment–including hit TV shows from NBC, WB and E!, plus thousands of Hollywood titles from all the major studios–streamed to the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch, Android devices, and select Samsung connected TVs.
Verizon’s Flex View lets FiOS customers buy or rent more than 25,000 on-demand titles, including movies and TV shows, and watch them on their TV, PC and mobile device. SecureMedia® Encryptonite ONE™ HLS+ helps protect Flex View on-demand content, with its standards-based, studio-approved security solution.
Security is a mounting concern for service providers addressing the explosion in multi-screen media consumption. A 2011 Motorola study found that nearly 70% of global respondents were watching TV on other devices, including smartphones, which in the US experienced a five-fold increase in TV viewing over the previous year.
“Now, more than ever, content protection is absolutely necessary to deliver today’s entertainment to multiple screens,” said Peter Burke, Vice President of Product Management, Converged Solutions, Motorola Mobility. “Our Medios portfolio is dedicated to helping our service provider partners like Verizon meet consumer demand for multi-screen experiences. SecureMedia® Encryptonite ONE™ HLS+ is a key component of that portfolio, as the leading solution widely available today that has been internationally approved by Hollywood studios.”
Motorola’s SecureMedia Encryptonite ONE™ HLS+ provides a streamlined process for service providers to ingest, transcode and securely deliver live and on-demand content via standard HTTP methods and infrastructure. This flexible, scalable solution lets Verizon offer its subscribers anytime, anywhere access to secure, premium entertainment on multiple devices
“We’re thrilled to offer our FiOS TV customers the best in film and TV, at the highest quality, streamed with Flex View,” said Maitreyi Krishnaswamy, Director of Consumer Video Services for Verizon. “With Motorola SecureMedia® we can continue to expand our delivery of premium on demand content to multiple screens, safely and securely, so our subscribers can continue to enjoy entertainment everywhere.”
About Motorola Medios SecureMedia Encryptonite ONE HLS+:
- It is the adaptive streaming and content security component in the award-winning Motorola Medios multi-screen service management software suite
- Internationally approved by all Hollywood studios and network broadcasters
- Supports a wide range of devices and platforms, including Android smartphones and tablets, Apple iPad®/iPhone®/ iPod® Touch devices (iOS), PC and Mac (OS X), game consoles, Internet-connected TVs from Samsung and others, Blu-ray Disc™ players, and today’s popular eReaders
- Leverages the rapid adoption of Apple HTTP Live Streaming (HLS) protocol to help service providers rapidly and effectively extend secure linear and on-demand content delivery to connected devices beyond the service provider’s managed network and the subscriber’s home
- Enables more rapid deployment of premium over-the-top (OTT) services while simultaneously savings costs on operational expenditures
- Recently won the 2012 IP&TV Industry Award for “Best Rights and Asset Management Solution Video Content Protection and the 2012 InfoVision Award for “Asia Broadband Innovation of the Year.
Motorola will be showcasing SecureMedia at the IBC 2012 Show in Amsterdam September 7-12th, Stand D3, Hall 1.