DISH announces 'Hopper with Sling' whole-home HD DVRMonday, January 7th, 2013
DISH’s New “Hopper with Sling” Delivers Unparalleled Choice and Control, at Home or On the Go
- Hopper with Sling – The only Whole-Home HD DVR that delivers an extensive viewing experience – live TV and DVR recordings – to tablets, smartphones and PCs, at home or away
- Hopper Transfers – Moves television recordings from Hopper with Sling to iPad for viewing when away from an Internet connection
- DISH Explorer app – Second-screen app allows viewers to discover new and trending content, integrates with Twitter and Facebook, can serve as remote-control for Hopper
LAS VEGAS — 2013 International CES — Today, DISH Network (NASDAQ:DISH) introduced Hopper™ with Sling®, the second generation of its award-winning Whole-Home HD DVR system. The new Hopper with Sling delivers several capabilities that improve the DISH experience at home and on the go by allowing customers to:
- Watch live and recorded television anywhere on Internet-connected tablets, smartphones and PCs at no additional charge using the Hopper’s new built-in Sling capabilities and the new DISH Anywhere™ app.
- Move recorded television to an iPad for viewing without an Internet connection using the free Hopper Transfers™ app.
- Transform their TVs into a home media hub with new multi-player gaming apps and the ability to ‘fling’ photos, videos and music from a mobile device.
“Last year, Hopper delivered the DISH television experience to multiple rooms. This year, we top that and deliver it anywhere,” said Joseph P. Clayton, DISH president and CEO. “With Hopper, the value equation for pay TV becomes radically different. Customers pay only once for their content and can access it anywhere they choose, in the home, or on the go.”
Hopper with Sling builds on the award-winning Hopper Whole-Home HD DVR introduced last year, and includes exclusive DISH innovations delivered by the Hopper including PrimeTime Anytime™ and the AutoHop™ commercial-skipping feature.
SLING TECHNOLOGY POWERS DISH ANYWHERE EXPERIENCE OUTSIDE THE HOME
Sling technology is now built into each new Hopper with Sling. It works by encoding and redirecting – or place-shifting – a live or recorded TV signal from the Hopper to Internet-connected iOS and Android tablets and smartphones. The DISH Anywhere experience is also available on PCs and Macs.
Customers can also use the Sling feature to watch DVR recordings stored on Hopper’s hard drive, including major network shows recorded using DISH’s PrimeTime Anytime feature. Both live and recorded television programs are available for viewing in the home as well as outside of it.
“Consumers want to access the shows they pay for on their mobile devices and only the Hopper meets that demand,” said Vivek Khemka, vice president of Product Management at DISH. “Our new Hopper with Sling simply makes it easier for our subscribers to watch their favorite programs on the go.”
DISH continues to offer Sling place-shifting technology using a separate Sling Adapter® accessory for select DISH DVR models, including the original Hopper Whole-Home HD DVR.
HOPPER APPS DELIVER MORE CHOICE AND CONTROL
In addition to the built-in Sling place-shifting technology, the second-generation of Hopper will have several innovative features, including:
Hopper Transfers™ – This unique capability is the long-awaited solution for watching recorded television programs when no Internet connection is available, such as in-flight or traveling on the road. The Hopper Transfers app lets viewers move recorded television programs from their DVR to an iPad and watch those shows on the go for no additional charge. The transfer of these recordings to the iPad occurs via Wi-Fi in the home. This feature is exclusive to Hopper with Sling.
DISH Explorer™ – This intuitive second-screen app for iPad combines TV, social media, and remote-control capabilities to enhance the viewing experience. DISH Explorer highlights trending TV programs based on real-time TV viewer data and social media measurements. The free app enables users to engage in conversations relating to the show they are watching on Twitter and Facebook. Sports enthusiasts can even keep up with real-time stats on their favorite teams. Finally, the app can navigate the Hopper’s channel guide, DVR and on-demand features using the iPad. DISH Explorer works with all Hopper models.
Apps – Hopper expands beyond TV with music apps from Pandora® and SiriusXM® radio, as well as multi-screen, multi-player game apps like PokerFun, Trivia TV and WeDraw. These apps work in combination with smartphones and tablets.
Hopper with Sling is powered by a Broadcom (NASDAQ: BRCM) BCM7425 processor and runs nearly three-times faster than any other satellite-TV receiver in the U.S. market. Hopper with Sling contains a two-terabyte hard drive, giving viewers up to 500 hours of high-definition (2,000 hours of standard definition) recordings.
DISH’s Hopper with Sling includes built-in Wi-Fi for easy networking.
Pricing and availability for Hopper with Sling will be announced later this month.
- Atmosic SoC approved for Google Android TV remote controls
- Bell Media unveils new and expanded ad solutions
- Irdeto ensures integrity of apps running on OSNtv
- Thales and Netskrt Systems collaborate on inflight VOD streaming
- Samsung chip to power Hyundai in-vehicle infotainment
- Radio Television Hong Kong selects Irdeto multi-DRM solution