Henan Cable deploys next generation Motorola DVB-C HD set-topsThursday, March 21st, 2013
Henan Cable Extends Relationship with Motorola Mobility; Deploys Next Generation DVB-C HD Set-Tops to Capitalize on Digital Demand 2013-03-21 14:53
- Major Chinese cable operator Henan Cable expands digital capabilities to delight subscribers with Motorola HMC3000, a next generation HD interactive set-top box
BEIJING — CCBN 2013 — One of China’s largest cable operators, Henan Cable, has chosen Motorola Mobility’s HMC3000 DVB-C HD set-top boxes as a major technological component in its plan to digitize its set-top portfolio and capitalize on increasing demand for digital video services.
The move further deepens the productive and long-standing relationship between Henan Cable and Motorola Mobility’s Home business in China, which has resulted in a number of successful deployments over the last few years.
Henan Cable will deploy Motorola’s HMC3000 set-tops to provide the kind of high-quality video experiences that Chinese consumers crave whilst reducing overall costs for the operator. Motorola’s latest Media Engagement Barometer, released this week, shows that China is a content hungry market with mature multi-screen behaviours. Chinese audiences are watching an average of 22 hours of TV content a week compared to the global average of 19 hours. This poses a challenge for cable operators who want to increase choice and quality whilst keeping costs low.
As consumer demand for digital video experiences grows, providers like Henan Cable need a reliable and affordable solution to deliver HD content and keep costs to a minimum. The Motorola HMC3000 Digital Video set-top box is one of the most cost-effective devices available for the Cable Digital Video Broadcasting (DVB-C) standard.
“As a competitive player in the Chinese market we’re constantly looking to drive efficiencies into our video delivery model whilst improving the service to our subscribers,” said Wang Daoyi, chief technology officer, Henan Cable. “Only by using the very best technologies can we achieve this and, as a key partner, Motorola continues to offer some of the most innovative solutions available. This latest deployment is no exception.”
Features and Benefits of Motorola’s HMC3000 DVB-C HD Set-Top Box
The HMC3000 is a Linux-based device which supports multiple video codecs and a wide range of video rates, and decodes standard MPEG-2, H.264 and MPEG-4 transport streams including most audio/video formats. Additionally, it is designed to support multiple Conditional Access Systems (CAS). The Motorola HMC3000 features include a standard SmartCard interface, flexible memory, optional two-way RJ-45 Ethernet ports for interactive applications and a 600+ MHz processor.
Other benefits include extensive high-speed connectivity for the widest range of set-top peripherals, including Flash drives, external HDDs and DOCSIS modems. Its compact design and advanced HD content delivery improves customer satisfaction whilst reducing operational costs.
Kevin Keefe, vice president & regional general manager, Asia Pacific at Motorola Mobility’s Home Division, commented: “China’s official analogue switch-off will take place sometime after 2015, putting Henan Cable in the perfect position to capitalize on the digital expansion and attract new subscribers. This is the latest of many successful projects with Henan Cable that have seen us deliver market leading solutions in a host of different technology areas.”
As strategic partners, Motorola Mobility’s Home business and Henan Cable have deployed many new products and services:
- GX2: The GX2 can accept up to 16 Plug-n-Play application modules, minimizing headend space requirements. The newly introduced DM2000 1550nm laser provides the best quality, features, and cost effectiveness
- Motorola M3: Henan Cable’s new Motorola M3 Media Server deployment provides a VOD content delivery network, enabling Henan Cable to offer its more than 3.6 million subscribers a vast library of on demand content, as well as provide those subscribers on demand access to live television through the Time-Shift-TV feature inherent within the M3 system
- APEX IPQAM: supports growing demand for narrowcast applications and can also enable switched digital video for Henan Cable
- Significant network deployments such as the SB5101NE cable modem and the advanced BSR64000 allows broadband operators to rapidly introduce differentiated data, voice and multimedia services for both corporate and residential subscribers.
Motorola at CCBN
For more on Motorola @ CCBN 2013, contact us (see below) or, to see a demonstration of the GT-3 technology, visit us at the Motorola Booth, Hall 3 Booth 3203. Please visit our blog, MediaExperiences2Go for more news from CCBN 2013.