RealPlayer Cloud now available worldwideMonday, February 24th, 2014
SEATTLE — RealNetworks, Inc. (NASDAQ: RNWK) today announced the global roll-out of RealPlayer® Cloud, allowing users to easily move, watch and share videos on any device or operating system, anywhere in the world. Consumers can now use RealPlayer Cloud on iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows 8 Modern UI, Windows, Kindle Fire, Roku and Chromecast.
“We’re excited to bring RealPlayer Cloud to consumers worldwide. In just five short months, we’ve experienced extensive user growth and now have more than 500,000 users in the U.S. and Canada,” said Rob Glaser, founder and interim CEO of RealNetworks. “Clearly there is a real need and demand for RealPlayer Cloud, which is essentially Dropbox for videos.”
The amount of video being captured on smartphones and tablets is exploding, yet not all platforms and devices get along. With RealPlayer Cloud, consumers no longer need to worry about converting videos, or carrying HDMI and USB cables to connect devices to each other to watch videos. RealPlayer Cloud simply works across all devices, including TVs connected with Chromecast. RealPlayer Cloud is powered by SurePlay™, a revolutionary cloud technology from RealNetworks, which enables seamless auto-formatting of videos to fit the device type, size of screen, available bandwidth, and storage space of any device.
With today’s international launch, people around the world can privately share videos with their friends and family in other countries – even if their loved ones don’t yet have RealPlayer Cloud downloaded. If a video has wider appeal, people can easily share with their social network on Facebook or Twitter.
In addition to the global expansion, RealPlayer Cloud has added new features, including:
- “Refer-a-Friend”: Now available globally, users can earn 1 gigabyte of free space for each friend who creates a RealPlayer Cloud account. The friend also receives an extra 1 gigabyte of free space.
- SMS Text Capabilities: iOS and Android app users can now easily send videos – reformatted in the cloud for all devices – via SMS text message, in addition to email.
RealPlayer Cloud offers 2 gigabytes of cloud storage for free to all users and provides additional storage through subscription plans that start at $4.99 per month. In addition to English, the app is now available in French, German and Spanish. Versions in Italian, Japanese, Korean and Portuguese are coming soon. Visit Real.com for more information on RealPlayer Cloud.
- Breezeline Stream TV launches in Pennsylvania
- SES-18 and SES-19 C-band satellites for the U.S. successfully launched
- OTT TV revenues in Western Europe to reach $45 billion by 2028
- DVB publishes updated Multicast ABR specification and guidelines
- Channel 4 adds Xandr to its digital ad-buying suite
- Mola boosts ABR streaming quality with Broadpeak