Broadcom 5G WiFi chip in new Xiaomi 4K Smart TVThursday, May 22nd, 2014
Broadcom 5G WiFi Combo Chip Enables Superior Streaming, Gaming and Integrated Mi Box in New Xiaomi 4K Smart TV
- Delivers Unparalleled Entertainment Experience to China’s Fast-Growing Smart TV Market
IRVINE, Calif. — Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today announced that its 2X2 MIMO 5G WiFi combo chip is the technology behind the latest smart 4K Mi TV2 from leading Chinese innovator Xiaomi. Broadcom® 5G WiFi (802.11ac) solutions with integrated beamforming technology enable manufacturers of home entertainment platforms to deliver the speed, range and bandwidth required for streaming HD-quality content, interactive online gaming and seamless connectivity with mobile devices.
China’s smart TV market is booming as consumer appetite for on-demand content, gaming and interaction with mobile devices continues to rise1. Approximately 85 percent of all LCD TVs will be Smart TVs by 2018, according to a recent report from Gartner2. Xiaomi’s 4K Mi TV2 combines brilliant 4K picture quality, superior gaming features and integrated Mi Box STB with MIUI, offering access to thousands of free HD movies and on-demand over-the-top (OTT) content choices.
“Our goal with the next generation Mi TV is to deliver the extraordinary home entertainment experience our customers have come to expect,” said Dai QingSong Xiaomi Vice President. “Broadcom provided a highly integrated solution with the innovative features we required to exceed consumer expectations while reducing overall bill-of-material cost and time-to-market.”
Based on the IEEE 802.11ac standard, Broadcom 5G WiFi combo solutions are playing a key role in the connected home. Ideal for home entertainment platforms such as digital televisions and over-the-top media boxes, Broadcom 5G WiFi solutions dramatically increases bandwidth and reliability, delivering the robust wireless connectivity needed for today’s mushrooming bandwidth demands. Up to three times faster and six times more power efficient than its 802.11n predecessor, 5G WiFi provides eight times the capacity and broader coverage.
“Our qualified 5G WiFi combo solutions provide leading innovators such as Xiaomi with the components required to get to market quickly with the latest in 11ac technology,” said Alex Chou, Broadcom Senior Director, Wireless Connectivity Combos, China. “By combining our cutting edge technology with their own design expertise, Xiaomi has raised the bar for smart TV performance and delivered a remarkable new home entertainment experience to the China consumers.”
Key Features of the Broadcom BCM43569 5G WiFi Combo Chip
- Dual-band 2×2 MIMO 802.11ac combo chip (5G WiFi and Bluetooth Smart)
- Ideal for home entertainment platforms such as digital televisions and over-the-top media boxes
- Integrated Bluetooth 4.0 for supporting remotes, sound bars, home automation and other Bluetooth peripherals
- Common USB port for Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and integrated Power Amplifiers (iPA) across both bands
- Customized Wi-Fi and Bluetooth coexistence algorithms allow Bluetooth gaming, audio and motion peripherals to perform in challenging environments
The recently announced Xiaomi smart Mi TV2 will be available to China consumers on May 27, 2014. The Broadcom BCM43569 is now available.
- Integral Ad Science ad verification goes live with Netflix
- DoubleVerify media quality measurement now available to Netflix advertisers
- EU clears acquisition of VOO and Brutélé by Orange, subject to conditions
- Liberty Global Belgium to launch takeover bid for Telenet Group Holding
- Proximus extends partnership with ThinkAnalytics
- Allente launches Google TV device powered by 3SS and SEI Robotics