33 Billion Internet Devices by 2020Tuesday, October 14th, 2014
33 Billion Internet Devices By 2020: Four Connected Devices For Every Person In World
- Internet of Things, Smart Home and Wearables Will Drive Next Growth Wave
BOSTON, MA — Nearly 12 billion internet-connected devices will be in use worldwide by the end of 2014, according to the latest research from Strategy Analytics. That is equivalent to 1.7 devices for every person on the planet, a ratio which will rise to 4.3 by 2020, when 33 billion devices will be in use. The report, “Connected World: The Internet of Things and Connected Devices in 2020”, quantifies the scale of the connected device opportunity across the Internet of Things (IoT), smart home, smartphones, PCs, tablets, smart TVs, internet media devices and wearable devices.
- Traditional connected devices like PCs, smartphones and tablets now account for less than a third of all connected devices in use.
- Emerging categories alone will connect an additional 17.6 billion devices to the internet by 2020.
- The Internet of Things is leading to rapid growth in new categories like M2M, smart objects, smart grid and smart cities.
“Back in 2007 PCs accounted for two thirds of internet devices – now it’s only 10 per cent,” notes David Mercer, Principal Analyst and the report’s joint author. “The impact of the internet on daily lives has increased rapidly in recent years. Huge growth potential still lies ahead, in terms of both the number of devices relying on internet connectivity and its geographic reach.”
“The Internet of Things has already connected five billion devices and we are only at the beginning of this revolution”, says Andrew Brown, Executive Director and the report’s joint author. “Smart cities and smart grid are just two of the ways in which the internet of things will touch everyone’s lives over the coming years and decades.”
- Tenstorrent to build AI and RISC-V chiplets with LG for Smart TVs
- DISH brings its linear TV to the digital ad marketplace
- health tv launches first FAST channel with Amagi
- Number of UK SVOD homes falls in 1Q 2023
- inext signs Moldova distribution contract with DIGIMAX
- EL PAIS begins live broadcasts on its FAST channel with The Channel Store