'hayu' SVOD service to launch in UK, Ireland and AustraliaThursday, February 11th, 2016
Reality on-demand service from NBCUniversal To Launch in UK, Ireland and Australia
- Top reality content from NBCUniversal available in one place – for the first time
- Over 3,000 episodes including Keeping Up with the Kardashians, Made in Chelsea, The Real Housewives and The Millionaire Matchmaker
- Majority of US shows will debut on the service the same day as their US launch
- Complete box sets allow fans to catch up on series from the very beginning
- Fans can now watch where and when they want on multiple devices, including mobile phone, tablet, laptop and connected TV
- Next-generation service is fully integrated with news feeds and social media – offering a breakthrough, shareable user-experience
- All for a £3.99/€4.99/A$5.99 monthly rolling subscription – giving reality fans their favourite series, streamed from one service
- The monthly, no-contract fee begins with a free one-month trial
LONDON — NBCUniversal International today announced the launch of hayu – its next generation, subscription video-on-demand (SVOD) reality service. The first all-reality service of its kind – curated and fully integrated with social media – will launch in March in the UK, Ireland & Australia on a full array of devices (mobile, tablet, laptop and connected TV).
Targeting the broad base of viewers who are fans of the reality genre, hayu combines a truly unique user experience with the best in over-the-top (OTT) technology. The streaming service will include a free one-month trial for over 3,000 episodes of reality content. New episodes will be added to the service every single week, the majority of which will debut on the same day as they premiere in the US, with 500+ episodes added to the service each year. The exciting collection of box sets means that fans of unscripted content can catch up on their favourite series from the beginning. Additionally, a host of series never seen before in the UK, Ireland and Australia will be available via full box sets.
Beyond being a single source for top reality content – including Keeping Up with the Kardashians and its spin-offs along with The Real Housewives, Million Dollar Listing and Top Chef franchises, I Am Cait, Made in Chelsea, Flipping Out, Shahs of Sunset, The Millionaire Matchmaker, RuPaul’s Drag Race (UK and Ireland) and Don’t Tell the Bride (UK and Ireland) – among many, many others – the curated service offers a range of innovations.
hayu will offer users specially made short-form content snippets – selected from the original episodes – which can be shared directly via fans’ social media accounts. Additionally, newsfeeds from multiple sources covering the shows and talent featured on hayu will be fully integrated into the service. Further, hayu will include full social media integration alongside the videos, allowing viewers instant access to the social media accounts of hundreds of reality’s hottest stars, as well as allowing fans to share their own comments.
Kevin MacLellan, Chairman, NBCUniversal International, commented: “NBCUniversal’s expertise as the foremost producer of reality programming – along with the obvious popularity of the genre – was the trigger for launching hayu. We know that reality content is a primary driver of social interaction and that fans of reality TV significantly over-index in online viewing. We set out to build a service that elegantly combines the best high-end reality shows with the most popular social media and digital news platforms. Uniquely, in hayu, fans can find it all in one place.”
The monthly, no-contract fee to access the full range of content is affordably priced at £3.99 in the UK, €4.99 in Ireland and $5.99 in Australia, beginning with a free one-month trial.
The launch of hayu in key international territories underscores NBCUniversal’s commitment to finding smart ways to maximize the value of its content in the digital marketplace.
- Tenstorrent to build AI and RISC-V chiplets with LG for Smart TVs
- DISH brings its linear TV to the digital ad marketplace
- health tv launches first FAST channel with Amagi
- Number of UK SVOD homes falls in 1Q 2023
- inext signs Moldova distribution contract with DIGIMAX
- EL PAIS begins live broadcasts on its FAST channel with The Channel Store