Toggle Red Button HbbTV trial begins in SingaporeTuesday, May 31st, 2016
Toggle brings interactivity and on-demand content to free-to-air TV with Toggle Red Button service
- This marks the first launch of HbbTV technology in Asia
SINGAPORE — Toggle has launched a new service, Toggle Red Button, providing a huge leap forward in free-to-air TV viewing experience. The service is currently in use by a closed user group, with general availability planned for end-June.
The Toggle Red Button service is based on a hybrid technology known as Hybrid Broadcast Broadband TV (HbbTV). Mediacorp, the company that runs Toggle, is the first in Asia to deploy HbbTV technology. The technology has been widely deployed across Europe, Australia and New Zealand with adoption rates up to 80% in some markets and a range of services such as games, voting and contextualised advertising.
The technology rides on Mediacorp’s Digital TV (DVB-T2) network and seamlessly combines broadcast with broadband TV. The service is delivered via HbbTV-enabled Smart TVs that are certified for the Toggle Red Button service, and available on selected models by major TV manufacturers.
The Toggle Red Button service brings together live broadcast TV and Toggle’s vast catalogue of video-on-demand (VOD) services into a single seamless environment. Access to the service is simple and easy – just by pressing the red button on the TV remote control, users will gain direct access to Toggle’s vast library of programmes while watching Mediacorp’s free-to-air TV channels, all on one screen. They will not need to switch between screens or search for apps. In addition, users no longer need to use recording devices or set top boxes and remember to record their favourite shows – they can watch them on catch-up through the Toggle menu in the TV environment.
Key features of the service include:
- Direct access to Toggle’s vast catalogue of more than 12,000 hours of Mediacorp TV shows and Toggle Original content
- A visually rich Electronic Programme Guide (EPG), which provides programme information, synopsis and schedules of recent and upcoming programmes
- Seamless integration of broadcast TV and catch-up TV content in a single interface, providing programme synopsis programme schedules and the ability to discover and play all the past episodes of shows content directly from the EPG, thus enhancing content discovery
- An interactive menu which provides access to catch-up news content from Mediacorp’s news channels and programmes
- Curated thematic streaming channels to super serve audiences’ specific interests
- In-programme viewer engagement, e.g. interactive contests
Future developments will include services like stock quotes, personalised watchlists, voting and social engagement. Audience insights gleaned from the service will enhance Mediacorp’s audience targeting solutions for its advertisers and clients.
Mr Anil Nihalani, Head, Connected Media, Mediacorp said, “We are delighted to bring the Toggle Red Button service to our consumers. The service provides direct access to great entertainment on Toggle within the free-to-air TV viewing experience simply by pressing the red button on the TV remote control, without the need to switch to different sources and apps”.
Added Mr Nihalani, “This is just the beginning of a range of new features we have planned for the service. Our consumers can look forward to new content and a new level of interactivity. Advertisers can also look forward to innovations in reaching their customers such as addressable TV features and transaction capabilities.”
The list of TV models that support the service will be available on toggle.sg in the coming weeks.
The service has been developed in partnership with Sofia Digital, the pioneer of interactive video and TV solutions based in Tampere, Finland. Sofia Digital focuses on open standard interactive platforms such as HbbTV, broadcasting automation tools and digital signage.