21.5 million German TV homes receiving channels via HOT BIRDWednesday, June 8th, 2016
Eutelsat TV Observatory for Germany underscores new growth of Eutelsat’s key video neighbourhoods
- 21.5 million German TV homes receiving channels via HOT BIRD
- EUTELSAT 9B now reaching into 4.7 million German TV homes
- Foreign language content a strong draw
- Ultra HD an accelerator for further growth
COLOGNE, PARIS — Eutelsat today revealed the first results of its Eutelsat TV Observatory 2016* for the German market at the ANGA COM conference in Cologne. New data measuring trends in Europe’s biggest TV market from 2014 to 2016 show growth of the Direct-to-Home (DTH) base of Eutelsat’s key video neighbourhoods, with the HOT BIRD position increasing its German DTH audience by 30 per cent to 3.1 million homes.
HOT BIRD channels reach one out of two German TV homes
Between spring 2014 and 2016 the number of homes in Germany equipped for DTH reception from the HOT BIRD position increased from 2.4 million to 3.1 million. With nine out of ten of these homes already equipped with an HD screen the stage is set for an acceleration of HD growth. In addition to its growing DTH base, HOT BIRD has a 95 percent penetration of German cable homes and 100 percent penetration of IP homes. In total, 21.5 million of Germany’s 40.1 million TV homes receive channels from the HOT BIRD position. The main drivers of its rising popularity are channel diversity, including English, Russian, Polish, Arabic, Turkish and Farsi TV channels, and an exceptional free-to-air offer of almost 400 channels.
EUTELSAT 9B consolidates market position
The EUTELSAT 9B satellite at 9° East, Eutelsat’s second significant position for Germany, also showed growth to 4.7 million DTH, cable and IP homes, reflecting an almost 20 percent jump in 24 months. EUTELSAT 9B is the satellite of choice for M7 Deutschland and multiple cable and IP network operators in Germany.
Rising interest in Ultra HD
The Observatory also revealed rising interest in and awareness of Ultra HD by German TV viewers. Over 80% of TV homes (75% in 2014) declared they were familiar with Ultra HD.
Commenting on the results, Michel Azibert, Eutelsat Chief Commercial and Development Officer, said: “Our new analysis highlights the strong demand for satellite TV in Germany, with 2.5 million TV homes declaring an interest in switching to DTH reception over the next 12 months to benefit from channel diversity and image quality. More specifically for Eutelsat and our community of channels, the survey shows a clear growth trend at two of our longstanding video neighbourhoods, with more growth to come as HD accelerates and Ultra HD takes hold. This outcome encourages us to pursue our efforts to grow in Germany and to leverage new technologies and applications that connect our clients to their audience.”
* 2,000 homes in Germany were interviewed online by TNS in March and April 2016.
- Samsung chip to power Hyundai in-vehicle infotainment
- Radio Television Hong Kong selects Irdeto multi-DRM solution
- Spectrum Reach taps Beachfront for programmatic monetization of convergent TV
- Netgem enables multiscreen TV for ZEOP with new UI on Android TV
- KCGM deploys Amagi SaaS offering to distribute anime channel in India
- Leading industry players join IAB Tech Lab advertising standards group