Xstream and Diagnal power 'dimsum' SVOD in MalaysiaTuesday, November 15th, 2016
Star Online partners with Xstream and Diagnal to Power its subscription Video on Demand service, dimsum, on multiple devices
HONG KONG and COPENHAGEN, Denmark — Xstream, a leading provider of OTT solutions, and Diagnal, Asia’s regional OTT specialists today announced that they are powering the new Video On Demand (VOD) service called dimsum, operated by Star Online Sdn Bhd, a subsidiary of the Star Media Group. Xstream’s modular and cloud-based OTT Platform, Xstream MediaMaker™, is the backbone of the new multiscreen VOD solution. Diagnal has custom designed and developed the dimsum website, Android apps, iOS apps including their video players.
The Star Media Group which is primarily a news and media organization has embarked on a second phase of its digital transformation plan with the launch of dimsum, its own online video on demand service. A part of the group’s plan is to stay ahead of the game and to reinvent its business. With the launch of dimsum, Star Media Group is taking on the battle with global and regional VOD services that have launched in Malaysia in the last couple of years, with the difference being that dimsum focuses only on Asian content.
“In Chinese language, dimsum literally translates to ‘selection of the heart’ or ‘order to your heart’s content’ and this is exactly what we want to do for our audience with dimsum. Provide them with exclusive and compelling content with an easy user experience.” said Lam Swee Kim, Chief Marketing Officer of dimsum. “By leveraging Xstream’s OTT platform and Diagnal’s remarkable industry knowledge, world class design and on time delivery focus, we have been able to launch dimsum in record time. Moreover the partnership has allowed us to focus on our core business – to serve premium and exclusive Asian content.”
Dimsum is a Subscription Video On Demand service (SVOD) with exclusive Asian content prized at RM15 per month. The online High Definition (HD) video service offers five concurrent users on one single account, on five different devices.
“Working with Star Media Group on launching dimsum with very ambitious launch dates, has been tremendously rewarding. With dimsum, Star Online will now be able to create new revenue streams”, said Laurits Tygesen, CEO at Xstream. “We are excited and honored to work with one of the most innovative media companies in the Asia Pacific region and provide them with the tools to stay competitive and satisfy the growing appetite of today’s viewers. Joining forces with superb tech partners like Diagnal, also allows us to provide our customers with best in-class technology, in-depth knowledge and proven experience.”
Xstream MediaMaker™ is a flexible and future proof OTT Platform designed to enable operators, broadcasters and content owners to seamlessly create, manage, deliver and monetize future-proof Internet TV solutions across regions and countries with multiple languages & currency on multiple devices – all with easy and transparent workflow management and proven APIs.
“As broadband speeds and smartphone penetration increases, we are seeing independent studios, media organisations and broadcasters across the Asia region reinventing their businesses with premium video streaming services. New entrants need to hit the ground running with a great service, then be ready to scale, to compete and to continue to innovate. We are very happy to see our latest customer Star Online launch dimsum successfully. It has been a great team effort between Star Online, Xstream and Diagnal. Diagnal has provided world class UIUX design for dimsum. Diagnal has also developed the dimsum apps and website including a fully featured video player supporting multiple DRM standards, multiple subtitles and multiple audio. Our team of seasoned OTT industry professionals has helped the dimsum service launch quickly and with high quality.” said Reuben Verghese, CEO at Diagnal.
Diagnal provides full branding and UIUX design services (Diagnal Imagine), OTT systems integration and development services (Diagnal Create).
- Dimsum is an exclusive subscription VOD service by Star Online, powered by Xstream MediaMaker™, using AWS to deliver unparalleled performance and durability
- A subscription based Video-on-Demand service with exclusive Asian content being the primary differentiator
- For a monthly Subscription service (SVOD) consumers pay RM15 per month targeting young, connected and new age audiences.
- Available across connected devices including Web, Android and iOS with more devices on the roadmap
- Five concurrent users per account on five different devices
- Parental control with Kids model
- Dimsum will be screened in HD with no interruption or buffering
- World class user experience with advanced video player features including multiple DRM, multiple audio languages and multiple subtitles.
- Atmosic SoC approved for Google Android TV remote controls
- Bell Media unveils new and expanded ad solutions
- Irdeto ensures integrity of apps running on OSNtv
- Thales and Netskrt Systems collaborate on inflight VOD streaming
- Samsung chip to power Hyundai in-vehicle infotainment
- Radio Television Hong Kong selects Irdeto multi-DRM solution