Arion selects Vewd to support HbbTV OpApp deployment across EuropeThursday, September 12th, 2019
Arion Selects Vewd To Strengthen Pay TV Operator Support Across European Markets
- Vewd and Arion partner to strengthen pay TV operator support across European markets
- Opens New Opportunities With Support For HbbTV Operator Apps
OSLO, Norway and AMSTERDAM — Vewd, the leading provider of OTT and hybrid TV solutions, and South Korean set-top box manufacturer Arion today partnered to deliver Vewd Core, and Vewd’s award-winning HbbTV and Operator App modules on Arion set-top boxes. The new agreement will result in the deployment of set-top boxes supporting the new HbbTV Operator App standard throughout Europe.
HbbTV is a global standard reaching more than 120 million households in 37 countries that enables interactive TV experiences over broadcast. HbbTV Operator Apps allow operators to:
- Create one application that transforms any connected set-top box with an operator’s brand and applications
- Offer engaging and customized user experiences
- Create applications that meet cord-cutters and cord-nevers on their preferred screen
- Scale their OTT solution by selecting a widely-deployed international standard
Everyone wins when an operator embraces HbbTV Operator Apps. Consumers have free choice among set-top box offerings and always have the latest operator experience. Operators realize savings by removing set-top box costs thereby transforming their balance sheets and ending costly reliance on systems integration projects for bespoke hardware.
Arion utilizes operator apps to scale its set-top box platform distribution with a lightning-fast time-to-market. Once an operator has created an HbbTV Operator App, Arion’s set-top boxes can immediately be deployed within that region. Furthermore, Arion can launch a specific set-top box in multiple markets without customizing hardware for each operator.
“Vewd is the global leader in hybrid TV and has played a key role in the global spread of the HbbTV standard. As such, Vewd was the frontrunner when we sought a partner to launch HbbTV Operator Apps,” said SH Cho, CTO of Arion. “Operator Apps help us efficiently scale across new markets and allow us to address more operators in a standardized way.”
“We’ve been active in the HbbTV Operator App specification since the beginning, going back to our early discussions with the HbbTV Association many years ago. We’re proud to support Arion with their launch of this innovative solution that we know will delight their customers,” said Aneesh Rajaram, CEO, Vewd. “Pay TV is evolving and we see HbbTV Operator Apps opening up new opportunities for operators to drive strong returns to their bottom lines.”
HbbTV Operator App Demo at IBC
Curious about HbbTV Operator Apps? Vewd will host a special HbbTV Operator App Demo and Happy Hour at IBC in Amsterdam on Monday, September 16th at 5:00 PM.
- Insys Video Technologies simplifies video streaming with Bitmovin
- BeIN Media and Google Cloud announce media and broadcast collaboration
- Activated STBs grow to 3,166,461 for South Africa's Openview
- Singtel TV subscribers down 6,000 in 1Q 2023
- Orby Elevate selects EUTELSAT for DTH TV distribution in the US
- U.S. SVOD revenues to grow at a 6.3% CAGR over 2022-2027