ARCHOS Redefines Mobile Internet and Media With Its Internet Media TabletsWednesday, August 20th, 2008
New Ultra-Thin, Ultra-Fast ARCHOS Devices Deliver Unrivaled Web Browsing, and Instant Access to Media and TV on a Handheld Device
DENVER, CO — Between WiFi hotspots and 3G mobile networks, consumers can access the Internet almost anywhere, and more than half of Americans (62 percent) are engaging in digital activities away from home or work today.* ARCHOS introduced today its new line of breakthrough portable devices, Internet Media Tablets (IMTs), that give people an entirely new way to enjoy the Web, digital media and TV on ultra-thin, extremely fast handheld tablets.
The new line of ARCHOS IMTs includes the ARCHOS 5, ARCHOS 5G and ARCHOS 7, which feature a sleek new design, high resolution touch-screens, and the ultra-fast speeds of a PC. With up to 320GB storage, the new ARCHOS Tablets offer the largest hard drives of any handheld player, and enough space to hold up to 300 full-length movies, thousands of songs, or millions of photos. Additional new features include an email application, redesigned user interface, high-definition (HD) video playback, and an integrated multimedia platform that uses a WiFi and/or 3.5G connection for extremely fast Web access anytime, anywhere.
The ARCHOS 5G is the first ARCHOS device equipped with a built-in 3.5G/HSDPA built-in modem and SIM card slot, letting users quickly access a mobile broadband network using their data plan and SIM card from their mobile phone. The ARCHOS 5 and ARCHOS 7 are 3.5G capable if used with the 3.5G plug-in and accessories.
“With the steady growth of mobile Internet adoption and easier ways to access the Internet and digital media, ARCHOS is delivering a fast, uncompromised Web browsing and entertainment experience on a portable device,” said Henri Crohas, ARCHOS chief executive officer. “The Internet Media Tablet redefines media on the move, and for the first time gives consumers the ability to be connected 24/7 with a PC-like experience in the palm of their hand. The IMTs not only provide true Web browsing, but also let people store and enjoy their entire media collections and TV anywhere and everywhere.”
Impressive New Design and Performance to Fit Your Mobile Lifestyle
- New Sleek Design and Interface: The ARCHOS IMTs feature an ultra-thin design with black stainless steel casing, and redesigned user interface for one-touch access to content and customization, such as home screen shortcuts.
- Large Touch Screens: The new line includes brilliant 5- and 7-inch touch-screens, 800×480 high resolution to view Web pages in full view without scrolling or zooming, and expanded battery life.
- PC-Like Performance: The IMT line is equipped with four times more speed, with the world’s first implementation of the ARM® Cortex™ superscalar microprocessor.
Uncompromised Web Surfing in the Palm of Your Hand
- Fastest Web Experience: New processing power, free Web browser, and full-page viewing without scrolling left to right make the IMTs the best Web viewing portables.
- Integrated Flash®: Provides access to favorite TV shows, online video sites, popular Web TV and radio stations, and thousands of widgets like weather, sports scores or a calculator.
- Email Application: Consumers can manage multiple accounts, easily view, send and receive their email, synchronize contacts, and store attachments, all using a wide touch-screen QWERTY keyboard.
Your Entire Digital Library on a Thin, Handheld Tablet
- Streaming Web TV and Radio: Free plug-in lets consumers stream thousands of Web TV channels and more than 10,000 radio stations directly to the IMT.
- Anywhere Entertainment: Consumers can enjoy favorite videos, music and photos directly on the IMT, listen to tunes while surfing the Web or checking email, transfer photos from digital cameras, and make customized slideshows to share with friends.
- The ARCHOS Media Club: Offers the latest online content such as movies, TV shows, music, and games from a range of providers. With one-touch access from the home screen, users can download content for rent or purchase directly onto the Tablet.
True TV Experience at Home or on the Go
- TV Recording: With the optional DVR station accessory, ARCHOS IMTs offer a fast and easy way to record and playback favorite TV programs and movies directly on the Tablet or TV.
- TV Program Guide: With the integrated TV Program Guide, users can easily schedule and record programs and now with the optional HD plug-in, they will be able to enjoy HD playback of movies on the high-resolution Tablets or on the TV.
- Internet on TV: When connected to the DVR station, the ARCHOS 5, ARCHOS 5G and ARCHOS 7 give users access to the Internet, music collections, photos, and their PC through wireless streaming from the PC to the comfort of their couch.
- Live TV Anywhere: TVportation lets consumers broadcast their live home TV directly onto the Tablet, Smartphone, or laptop anywhere in the world with a WiFi connection.
Personalize with Plug-Ins and Accessories
ARCHOS Tablets provide the ultimate level of personalization through a host of optional plug-ins and accessories:
- Plug-Ins: 3.5G, high-definition video (720p resolution), free Web Browser, free Web TV and Radio, free TV Program Guide, TVportation, and Cinema and Video Podcast.
- Accessories: DVR Station, Mini-Dock, GPS In-Car Holder, Helmet Cam, and more.
All Plug-ins can be purchased or downloaded directly via the Media Club icon on the device, and plug-ins and accessories are available from the ARCHOS store.
Pricing and Availability
The ARCHOS 5 IMTs will be available from retailers such as Amazon.com, Best Buy Canada, B&H, Circuit City, Future Shop, In Motion, Walmart.com, and the ARCHOS Website beginning September 2008. The ARCHOS 7 will be available in October 2008 and the ARCHOS 5G will be available early 2009. Retail pricing is as follows:
* Pew Internet & American Life Project – Mobile Access to Data & Information Report, March 2008