Vivendi (Canal+ Group) Third Quarter EarningsThursday, November 13th, 2008
Increase in digital subscriptions: Canal+ Le Bouquet represented 78% of the total portfolio of Canal+ at the end of September 2008 compared to 68% at end of September 2007
PARIS — Vivendi (Paris: VIV) revenues were €17,777 million compared to €15,643 million for the first nine months of 2007, an increase of 13.6% (+15.9% at constant currency).
Canal+ Group’s revenues for the first nine months of 2008 were €3,391 million, a 5% increase. Revenues from Canal+ France increased by 2.9%, mainly driven by Canal+ and CanalSat/TPS’ portfolio growth revenues as well as higher advertising revenues. As of September 30, 2008, total subscription portfolio (individual and collective, France including overseas territories and Africa) reached 10.4 million.
Net portfolio growth over the past 12 months amounted to approximately 40,000 subscriptions, including an actual increase of approximately 110,000 subscriptions and a negative adjustment of approximately 70,000 subscriptions resulting from the portfolio change of scope to include viable contracts only.
As of September 30, 2008, more than 90% of TPS subscribers had been transferred to the CanalSat platform, in line with the company’s target to have one single satellite platform by the end of 2008.
Canal+ France net portfolio (in thousands)*:
September 2008 September 2007 -------------- -------------- CanalSat/TPS 5,182 5,149 Canal+ 5,227 5,225
* Individual and group subscriptions at Canal+, CanalSat and TPS (in 2007) in metropolitan France, DOM/TOM and Africa
The New TV Experience:
- Launch of the new decoder + LE CUBE: HD satellite terminal with an internet connection. Equipped with a hard disk and offering new services such as « Séries en avant-première »
- Launch of CANAL+ A LA DEMANDE and CANALSAT A LA DEMANDE
- Canal+ invents LA CLE CANAL+: a pocket-size TNT HD decoder with a USB key
- Signature of a multi-year agreement between CanalPlay and Gaumont for the downloading of a large selection of movies