Rovi Launches Media Discovery and Connectivity Solution for the CarTuesday, November 10th, 2009
Automotive Infotainment Solution Enhanced with Rich Descriptive Information Streamlines Sharing of Digital Content to the Car
SANTA CLARA — Rovi Corporation (NASDAQ: ROVI) today introduced Rovi’s Automotive Solution, a digital media platform that can help automotive OEM and aftermarket manufacturers build elegant car infotainment systems with the ability to recognize and share digital media with devices on the home network. The solution, a combination of Rovi’s LASSO™ media recognition software and Connected Platform networking technology, provides descriptive details on CDs, DVDs, Blu-ray Discs, and digital files played in the car. It treats the infotainment system in the car as another device connected to the home network, and allows the transfer and sharing of digital content for enjoying on the go.
“With ever growing amount of content – music and movies – being played in the car, the vehicle is an extension of the digital home. As this trend continues, auto manufacturers are looking at how they can enhance the in-car entertainment experience,” said Corey Ferengul, executive vice president of product management and marketing at Rovi Corporation. “Rovi’s world-class metadata and innovative connectivity capabilities simplify the design process and provide drivers an entirely new way to discover, manage and enjoy their content on the go.”
In designing its in-car navigation system, Kenwood wanted to provide consumers with a better experience for enjoying their music. By integrating Rovi’s capabilities into its system, Kenwood added unique features that allowed users to receive information on titles, artists, albums, files and genres. This provided the end consumer with an enhanced content discovery experience.
Rovi’s Automotive Solution can help provide a seamless in-car experience that enables drivers to take their favorite playlists on the road, and look up, discover and share content. Powered by Rovi’s extensive metadata library and based on DLNA and UPnP standards, the solution supports several media protection standards and the newly-released Windows 7 ‘Play-to’ capability.
- Media Lookup offers consumers the ability to utilize Rovi’s vast metadata library to identify, tag and manage their digital content.
- Rich Entertainment Metadata provides extensive information on a variety of music and movies and supports multiple content types from CDs, digital files, DVD, Blu-ray Discs.
- Software Update provides periodic updating of embedded databases via removable media or home network connectivity.
- Content Transfer allows for transfer of audio files and metadata to the vehicle from standards-based devices on a home network.
- Device Sharing enables interoperability of portable devices via USB and standards-based connectivity.
The Rovi Automotive Solution is available now.