Broadcom powers TiVo's new Ultra HD set-top boxThursday, September 11th, 2014
Collaboration to Enable Delivery of Streaming and Linear 4K Content to Subscribers
- Expands TiVo’s advanced integration of linear TV, on demand and over-the-top (OTT) streaming content onto Broadcom’s latest platforms
- Brings TiVo experience to an Ultra HD-ready platform, critical as 4k content becomes more widely available
- Broadcom decoding delivers vivid live-action viewing with 60 frames-per-second resolution and 10-bit color for Ultra HD content
AMSTERDAM — IBC 2014 — Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today announced it will power TiVo’s Ultra HD set-top box technology. Broadcom and TiVo Inc. (NASDAQ: TIVO), a global leader in the advanced television entertainment market, will demonstrate TiVo’s new Ultra HD set-top box technology that can deliver 4X the resolution of traditional 1080p60 HD displays at IBC, September 12-16, RAI Amsterdam, in Broadcom’s booth 2.C25.
“This new offering builds on the ongoing collaboration between Broadcom and TiVo, including our work on the TiVo® Series4 and TiVo Roamio™ DVRs,” said Rich Nelson, Broadcom Senior Vice President of Marketing, Broadband & Connectivity Group. “As a leading provider of silicon for Ultra HD technology, Broadcom’s BCM7445 SoC will allow TiVo to display life-like resolution speeds of 60 frames per second (4Kp60) and richer color gradation with the10-bit Rec 2020 color standard.”
“TiVo is committed to bringing the ultimate viewing experience to our customers, delivering all video content to any room and any screen with the only user experience that allows consumers to easily discover content whether it is linear, On Demand, or over-the-top. With Broadcom, we can deliver the stunning picture quality and color clarity of Ultra HD to our subscribers worldwide,” said Jeff Klugman, Executive Vice President, General Manager of Products and Revenue, TiVo. “Demonstrating our 4k capabilities with Broadcom at IBC marks an important next step in our bringing Ultra HD to consumers everywhere.”
Broadcom and TiVo Demonstration Details
- Decoding provided by Broadcom’s flagship video decoder system-on-a-chip (SoC), the BCM7445, with high efficiency video codec (HEVC) compression, 60 frame-per-second resolution and 10-bit color standard
- TiVo’s TV Everywhere and multi-room solutions feature an award-winning user interface and access to integrated linear TV, On Demand and OTT streaming content all in one simple search
Broadcom’s BCM7445 Ultra HD SoC is currently in volume production.