Rogers TV subscribers down 23,000 in 2Q 2016Thursday, July 21st, 2016
TORONTO — Rogers Communications Inc., a leading diversified Canadian communications and media company, today announced its unaudited financial and operating results for the second quarter ended June 30, 2016.
Cable revenue was stable as continued double-digit Internet revenue growth of 15% fully offset the ongoing decline in Television and Phone revenue.
The 7% decreases in Television revenue this quarter and year to date were a result of:
- the decline in Television subscribers over the past year; and
- more promotional pricing provided to subscribers; partially offset by
- the impact of Television service pricing changes implemented over the past year.
Television Subscribers (thousands)
Three months Six months ended June 30 ended June 30 ------------------- ------------------- 2016 2015 Chg 2016 2015 Chg ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- Total 1,847 1,951 (104) 1,847 1,951 (104) Net adds (23) (32) 9 (49) (73) 24
Strengthening Our Cable Offerings
Subscriber trends are improving in our Cable segment and we are well positioned to improve further based on:
- the strong popularity of IGNITE Internet, including our recent launch of one gigabit speeds; and
- enhanced TV offerings, including an improved legacy user interface, 4K TV, and the launch of Internet Protocol Television (IPTV), which is expected at the end of this year.
Consumer interest in 4K TV continues to grow. By the end of 2016, we expect to have delivered over 100 live sporting events in 4K. To achieve the high quality 4K resolution, as well as to support our anticipated IPTV introduction, high levels of bandwidth are required. Our hybrid fibre-coaxial cable network already has the capability to deliver the required bandwidth. With more 4K television sets and video streaming devices in the home, the high bit rate requirement further emphasizes the speed and capacity advantages of Rogers’ hybrid fibre-coaxial cable network over the legacy networks of our telecommunication competitors.