South Africa Digital TV News
Digisoft and Hambisana launch hybrid education/TV STB project in South Africa
Mar 15, 2013 — Digisoft.tv has announced a venture with Hambisana. Projects will centre around the delivery of television and education to under serviced areas. Connected set top boxes will be supplied with a keyboard and mouse, effectively delivering a low cost PC to be used with a consumer's own television.
News categories: Digisoft, Hambisana, Africa, Digital TV, Middleware, Set Top Box, South Africa
Digital TV penetration accelerates in Sub-Saharan Africa
Jan 8, 2013 — About 35.3% of TV homes in Sub-Saharan Africa took digital signals by end-2012, according to a report from Digital TV Research. The Digital TV Sub-Saharan Africa report forecasts that digital TV penetration will rocket to 95.5% by 2018 – with household numbers quadrupling to 49.0 million.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Africa, Angola, Côte d'Ivoire, Digital TV, Ghana, Kenya, Market Research, Nigeria, South Africa, Subscribers, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia
Commercial DTT to launch in South Africa in December
Oct 3, 2012 — At South Africa's Proof of Concept launch of Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT), the country's Minister of Communications said that the commercial launch of DTT will take place in December this year.
News categories: Digital TV, Satellite, Set Top Box, South Africa, Terrestrial
South Africa pay TV households to reach 5.9 million by 2016
Sep 9, 2012 — According to PricewaterhouseCoopers, pay TV households in South Africa are set to grow from 3.7 million in 2011 to 5.9 million by 2016 - with subscription television then reaching a TV household penetration rate of 81.4%.
News categories: PricewaterhouseCoopers, Digital TV, Market Research, South Africa, Subscribers
South Africa sets DTT launch date
Aug 21, 2012 — The first phase of the launch of digital terrestrial television (DTT) in South Africa is set for 26 and 27 September 2012, the Department of Communications (DoC) recently told the country's Select Committee on Labour and Public Enterprises.
News categories: Digital TV, South Africa, Terrestrial
Satellite TV boom to continue
Jul 25, 2012 — According to a report from Digital TV Research, the number of pay DTH (DBS) homes for the 80 countries covered will be 220 million by end-2017, up from 154 million at end-2011 and 91 million at end-2007. India will lead the sector with 50.9 million pay DTH homes in 2017.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Brazil, Digital TV, India, Indonesia, Italy, Market Research, Mexico, Poland, Russia, Satellite, South Africa, Subscribers, UK, USA
South Africa publishes revised Draft DTT Regulations for consultation
Jul 13, 2012 — The Independent Communications Authority of South Africa has published a revised set of Draft Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT) regulations for another round of public consultation. Stakeholders have until 30 July 2012 to submit their written submissions.
News categories: ICASA, Digital TV, Regulation, South Africa, Terrestrial
South Africa launches Set-Top Box Standard
Jun 6, 2012 — South Africa's Department of Communications and Bureau of Standards launched the Set-Top Box (STB) decoder standard (SANS862:2012) for free-to-air digital terrestrial television at the inaugural ICT Indaba taking place from 5–7 June 2012.
News categories: Digital TV, Set Top Box, South Africa, Terrestrial
- Multiscreen video delivery via residential gateways a fast-growing trend
- TalkTalk is Britain's fastest growing new TV service
- Vodafone to use Deutsche Telekom network for IPTV in Germany
- More than 3,000 on-demand services in Europe
- Russia to add 900,000 IPTV subscribers in 2013
- Mobile TV & video viewers to exceed 2 billion by 2017
- 24% of Russian homes equipped for satellite TV reception
- Belkin launches Dyle™ Mobile TV Receiver for iPad/iPhone
- Eastern Europe to add 13 million digital TV homes in 2013
- Vivendi (Canal+, GVT) releases first quarter 2013 results
- Farncombe and Inview collaborate on OTT solutions for the LatAm market
- Espial powers Harvard Freeview hybrid STBs and multiscreen apps
- Bhagyanagar Digital Services Indian cable consortium to use Conax content security
- HD+ increases customer base to 1.1 million German households in 1Q 2013
- BT Vision subscribers up 40,000 to 810,000 in 1Q 2013
- Reliance Digital TV subscribers unchanged in 1Q 2013 at 4.6 million
- Canal+ Spain subscribers down 26,500 in 1Q 2013
- StarHub pay TV subscribers down 4,000 in 1Q 2013
- DISH Network Reports First Quarter 2013 Financial Results
- NHK and Mitsubishi Develop World's First HEVC Encoder for 8K Super Hi-Vision