Digital TV News: Netflix
More than 3,000 on-demand services in Europe
May 16, 2013 — The European Audiovisual Observatory has just taken stock of on-demand audiovisual services on the occasion of the Cannes Film Market. These data are available in the MAVISE database, which has now been expanded to cover on-demand audiovisual services in Europe.
News categories: European Audiovisual Observatory, Europe, Market Research
Mobile TV & video viewers to exceed 2 billion by 2017
May 15, 2013 — A new report from Juniper Research has found that by 2017, 2 billion mobile and tablet users will watch TV and video on their devices.
News categories: Juniper Research, Digital TV, Market Research, Mobile, OTT, Smartphone, Tablet
Farncombe and Inview collaborate on OTT solutions for the LatAm market
May 14, 2013 — Farncombe and Inview have announced that they are working together to offer operators in Latin America a cost-effective way to launch OTT services in the region. Farncombe is providing its system integration capabilities alongside Inview’s OTT platform.
News categories: Farncombe, Inview, Latin America, Middleware, OTT
Nearly half of U.S. internet-capable home entertainment devices are connected and used
May 1, 2013 — Forty-seven percent of home entertainment devices are currently connected and being used for their online capabilities. But the degree to which these devices are used online varies significantly, according to The NPD Group.
News categories: NPD Group, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
Over 60% Growth in Worldwide Over-the-top Video Revenue in 2012
Apr 10, 2013 — Companies like Netflix, Hulu, Apple, and Amazon helped drive the over-the-top (OTT) video market past $8 billion in 2012. The three largest markets--North America, Europe, and Asia-Pacific--experienced YoY growth in excess of 50% in 2012, according to ABI Research.
News categories: ABI Research, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT
Nearly 80% of U.S. Smart TV owners are regular app users
Apr 4, 2013 — New industry research from Parks Associates shows app developers are targeting the smart TV platform as the next significant growth area as nearly 80% of smart-TV owners regularly use apps.
News categories: Parks Associates, Apps, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV
Media Excel and Vidmind partner to provide Cloud TV service
Mar 19, 2013 — Vidmind has announced a partnership with Media Excel. The joint transcoding management component, Vidmind SnowCannon, is in field trials by a number of operators. The fully managed Cloud TV service includes live HD-TV, VoD, catch up TV, social features and a TV app market.
News categories: Vidmind, Media Excel, Infrastructure, Middleware, OTT, TVConnect
Marvell Powers TCL Smart TV and Set-top Box with Google TV
Jan 8, 2013 — Marvell (NASDAQ: MRVL) and TCL have announced that TCL is the first company to offer both a Smart TV (Movo) and set-top box (MoVo Box) with Google TV, powered by Marvell's ARMADA® 1500 series SoC platform (88DE3100).
News categories: Marvell, TCL, Google TV, CES, Digital TV, OTT, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Smart TV
- End-to-End Solution for OTT and IPTV delivered by Motama
- nangu.TV launches recommendation engine
- Microsoft unveils Xbox One home entertainment system
- Canby Telcom to create video streaming service on Roku
- Pathé partners with Xstream for Widevine DRM on iOS and Android devices
- Isobar and SKY Brazil launch first ever record-via-twitter service
- TDS TV upgrades to Mediaroom 2.3
- Sales of set-top boxes with embedded MoCA grew 23% in 2H12
- Telekom Malaysia's HyppTV IPTV service to go nationwide
- Multiscreen video delivery via residential gateways a fast-growing trend
- ITU-IEC produces metadata standard for cross-platform IPTV
- TalkTalk is Britain's fastest growing new TV service
- Vodafone to use Deutsche Telekom network for IPTV in Germany
- More than 3,000 on-demand services in Europe
- Russia to add 900,000 IPTV subscribers in 2013
- Mobile TV & video viewers to exceed 2 billion by 2017
- 24% of Russian homes equipped for satellite TV reception
- Belkin launches Dyle™ Mobile TV Receiver for iPad/iPhone
- Eastern Europe to add 13 million digital TV homes in 2013
- Vivendi (Canal+, GVT) releases first quarter 2013 results