TiVo Premiere From RCN Debuts in Washington, D.C. AreaTuesday, May 4th, 2010
A Digital TV Box, A Music Box, A Movie Box, A Web Box All Packaged Into One Box; Available in Additional Markets Including New York City, Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia, and Lehigh Valley in the Near Term
HERNDON, VA — RCN Corporation (NASDAQ: RCNI), a leading provider of all-digital and high definition video, high-speed internet, and premium voice services, and TiVo Inc. (NASDAQ: TIVO), the creator of and a leader in television services for digital video recorders (DVRs), today announced the launch of TiVo® Premiere from RCN in the Washington, D.C. area. This co-branded, uniquely configured product for RCN’s residential and small business customers goes dramatically beyond the traditional DVR.
A true one-stop-shop for entertainment, the TiVo Premiere offers RCN’s customers a universe of television and broadband delivered entertainment all accessible through one remote and one user interface. Besides searching and recording programs, it downloads and streams movies, accesses songs, photos and home movies from a personal computer, and more. In addition to accessing RCN’s Video ON DEMAND (VOD) library with thousands of hours of content, RCN customers can also link via broadband to rent movies, watch YouTube, and access interactive applications including music streaming and photo viewing applications. Future applications include Pandora Internet Radio, FrameChannel, and third-party provided applications.
“As the pioneer of triple play product bundling, RCN is proud to partner with TiVo, the pioneer of DVR technology, in this trailblazing relationship to offer our customers a feature-rich experience that will leap-frog us over our cable, satellite, and telco competition,” said RCN’s President and CEO Peter D. Aquino. “TiVo Premiere from RCN will provide a very unique and innovative delivery of cable and broadband not available from any other provider in our markets. As RCN’s primary HD DVR, we expect that our customers will embrace the future of home entertainment by combining RCN’s HD/digital programming and robust VOD library with broadband delivered programs, electronic files, and web content — all over the TV.”
RCN is the first all-digital TV and broadband provider to have TiVo as its primary provider of DVRs. RCN will first launch the TiVo Premiere in its Washington, D.C. market. It will be introduced in the near future in its other markets in New York City, Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia, and Lehigh Valley in Pennsylvania. In Washington, D.C., it will be offered as part of a bundled package of digital TV and high-speed Internet services. Pricing, availability, and more information is available by calling 1-800-RING-RCN (746-4726) and on www.rcn.com/tivodc.
“We are pleased that RCN is the first cable provider to offer the TiVo hardware and software as its primary DVR, combining traditional television programming with cable Video ON DEMAND and the growing universe of Internet delivered content, offering customers a true one-stop-shop for all television entertainment needs,” said TiVo’s President and CEO Tom Rogers. “Any DVR can time shift content, but we started that ten years ago and have spent the last decade evolving the experience to something that goes way beyond the DVR.”
Some features offered include:
- Integrated search: Instantly scans across all programs — TV, Video ON DEMAND, and online content — to find exactly what a user wants to watch.
- Automatic recordings: Records a user’s favorite shows each week (minus the repeats, of course) automatically with TiVo’s Season Pass® Recordings; plus TiVo Wish List® searches which finds programs based on the user’s interests and records them whenever they’re on.
- Remote scheduling: Schedule recordings remotely from anywhere you have an Internet connection.
- TiVoToGo transfers: Take shows with you by transferring them from your TiVo to a laptop or mobile device.*
- Multi-room viewing: Lets a user record a show on one TiVo box and watch it on another in their home.
- Control live TV: Allows pause, rewind, slow-mo, and instant replay functions from live TV.
- Content storage: Records up to 45 hours of high-definition (HD) programming or up to 400 hours of standard-definition.
- Full HD support: 1080p and 1080i HD formats are fully supported.
* Only unprotected video programming may be transferred using TiVoToGo.