SKY Italia subscribers down 39,000 in 1Q10Tuesday, May 4th, 2010
NEW YORK, NY — News Corporation (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV) today reported financial results for the third quarter ended March 31, 2010.
Direct Broadcast Satellite Television
SKY Italia reported third quarter segment operating income of $35 million, a decrease of $28 million from the $63 million operating income reported a year ago. Local currency revenue declined by 3% as a result of lower subscription revenue compared with the prior year quarter. Overall costs, in local currency, were flat as higher sports programming costs related to the Olympics were offset by lower basic programming costs and subscriber related costs.
The quarter end subscriber base of 4.7 million declined 39,000 from the previous quarter end, as gross subscriber additions of 118,000 in the quarter were more than offset by existing subscriber cancellations. SKY Italia had a decrease of approximately 101,000 subscribers over the past twelve month period.
More: Earnings Releases
- Atmosic SoC approved for Google Android TV remote controls
- Bell Media unveils new and expanded ad solutions
- Irdeto ensures integrity of apps running on OSNtv
- Thales and Netskrt Systems collaborate on inflight VOD streaming
- Samsung chip to power Hyundai in-vehicle infotainment
- Radio Television Hong Kong selects Irdeto multi-DRM solution