Bell Fibe TV launches in Toronto and MontréalMonday, September 13th, 2010
Next-generation TV experience delivers best programming, premium content, stunning picture quality, advanced features and whole home PVR; Fibe TV enhances television choice and competition in largest urban centres
MONTREAL — Bell Canada (TSX, NYSE: BCE) today announced the launch of Bell Fibe TV, its advanced Internet Protocol Television (IPTV) service, in several Toronto and Montréal neighbourhoods. Delivered using the latest fibre optic technology on Canada’s most advanced network, Fibe TV offers customers the best TV experience available.
“TV and movie lovers – prepare to be amazed. Bell Fibe TV’s incredible range of flexible programming options and innovative features are revolutionizing the way you watch TV,” said Kevin Crull, President of Bell Residential Services, speaking at a press conference today at the TIFF Bell Lightbox, the newly opened headquarters of the Toronto International Film Festival in Toronto. “Bell TV has been at the forefront of TV innovation as Canada’s HD leader. Fibe TV strengthens our leadership with unique next-generation services: a PVR like no other, HD and SD video on demand services and a cutting-edge interface with advanced search capabilities.”
An all-digital IPTV service, Fibe TV is powered by the award-winning Microsoft Mediaroom multimedia software platform – the most widely deployed IPTV platform in the world – and delivered on Bell’s high-speed fibre network. Now offered in selected areas of Toronto and Montréal, Fibe TV will be available to almost five million households by the end of 2015.
Next-generation Fibe TV is a new complement to the Bell TV satellite service, which already delivers the most HD television content in Canada to almost two million customers across the country. Bell plans to be Canada’s largest TV provider by 2015, and is investing billions of dollars in its fibre, satellite and wireless broadband networks in order to deliver the most extensive TV services in the industry. Last week, Bell announced it will acquire CTV, Canada’s #1 media company, to ensure its customers have access to the best sports, news and entertainment content across all three screens – television, mobile and online.
Unlike cable, Fibe TV’s advanced IP-based software technology makes possible the industry-leading set of features announced today and provides the ability to instantly deliver future innovations without the need for new receivers or even a visit from a technician. Bell will continuously introduce Fibe TV subscribers to exciting new features such as Remote PVR. Fibe TV’s advanced IP platform also supports future competitive advantages as Bell leverages Internet content and applications into the television environment and continues to build on its commitment to deliver the best content on all three screens.
Bell Fibe TV features
Flexible and robust programming:
- More than 100 HD channels as well as more than 70 international channels complement the over 20 Theme Packs loaded with popular news, sports, family, movie and lifestyle options, giving customers the ability to select more of the channels they really want.
- Every standard definition channel also comes with the HD version at no extra charge.
Bell On Demand:
- More than a thousand HD and SD movies and series available on demand with unlimited viewing for 24 hours, including subscription video on demand for premium content from channels such as TMN, MPIX and HBO.
A PVR like no other:
- Whole Home PVR connects all the receivers in the home, enabling subscribers to view, set, delete and manage up to 100 hours of HD content (250 hours of SD) from any receiver – even pause a recorded show in one room and pick it up in another.
- Record up to 4 programs simultaneously.
- The Remote PVR feature will be available soon, giving subscribers the ability to manage their recordings from any computer with an Internet connection or directly from select smartphones.
Next-generation TV experience:
- Easy to use interface and navigation, featuring a translucent picture in picture program guide that enables the viewer to see and hear their current show while searching for another.
- Fastest channel change on the market.
- Search by program title, keyword or actor’s name.